How do we match-up with Michigan?

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by utvol0427, Mar 23, 2014.

1. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Discuss.

2. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

We can mash the boards against anyone. They think they have a mauler. He's not going to like Friday. Richardson can clamp down Stauskas.

If we avoid the McRae show, we can play with anyone, particularly those living and dying by the 3.

3. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

No Mitch makes it a toss up, IMO

4. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Toss up any way. If we're motivated and avoid McRae trying to take over, we can play. If McRae gets his in the flow of the game, we're good. We're struggling at the point, but it's serviceable. MI isn't going to create 15 TOs. Bielein is a 3 point machine. He believes. It's a tough way to be consistent.

5. volsforever27

volsforever27 Member

Truth, but this game still scares me. They're really athletic. Like BPV said, if McRae doesn't play stupid and they continue playing inside out they stand a good shot.

6. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I don't like the matchup but you give me hope, BPV. I just think their perimeter game will be too much for us and we won't have enough advantage inside to make up for it.

7. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Repeat of 2011, imo

8. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

If we make the effort, we're long as hell on the perimeter. If we'll, for one game, put our head down and stick with the line, we can play here. We have long long arms out there and can handle the paint fine.

9. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Looking good.

The repeat of last year re: Mercer comment set us on the right path.

10. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

The balance they are playing with right now gives them a chance against anybody.

I think BPV has summed it up well.

U Mass nor Mercer were ever really a threat to win the game. Not that either were real contenders to make any noise but UT dominated both in back to back games. That's what contenders do.

We may go back to the old UT but the new UT is rolling right now.

11. docholiday

docholiday Contributor

Good points. Serious advantages in the paint. Michigan has not seen this type of defense this year.
    Live by three and die by three in tourney play. I like our chances.

12. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

Every game with ut scares me. They are doing well none the less. Nice.

13. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Gotta hope they struggle to adjust to shooting in the big stadium setting. It's in Lucas Oil, right? Was the Big 10 Tournament there as well?

14. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I do not like the match up. We are very susceptible to the drive and kick out for three, which Michigan specializes. We give up a lot of looks from three and the Wolverines were 14-28 against the Longhorns. I sincerely hope we don't roll out that zone again, too.

15. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Here, drink this.

16. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

We going to the final four guys. Then beating Arizona and Michigan State for our first ever NC.

17. docholiday

docholiday Contributor

Hat made his prediction on the TB show tonight. Winner of Michigan and Tennessee will cut down the nets.
    I can't disagree with him. I really think Florida's poor free throw shooting and scoring droughts will clip them at some point.
    All about match ups of course.

18. docholiday

docholiday Contributor

Texas plays horrible defense. This is going to be a hell of a game.

19. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Imagine a Vols vs. Sparty national championship game. Stokes and Payne? wow.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  20. docholiday

docholiday Contributor

Michigan St. is not good enough defensively to get there in my opinion.