Five Guys/Other Burger Joints

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by tidwell, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Joseph Brant

Joseph Brant Airbrush Aficionado

I'd take 84 to 91 to 95, if that's not how it has you going. Also, depending on where you're heading, 15 south out of New Haven might save you a shitload of time.

2. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I'm a straight through driver. Probably to my detriment.

3. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Heading to Merrimack. Think that will work?

4. Joseph Brant

I'm the same, I hate driving to where I find the fastest way from a to b, no meals, no stops that don't involve gas, coffee, or piss.

5. Joseph Brant

Heading where from Merrimack?

6. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

From Long Island to Merrimack

7. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Used to be me but now only drive if I absolutely have to and only map out trips in relation to food. Don't care how long it takes honestly, but I'm weird and have different priorities than most people.

8. Joseph Brant

Probably just want to take 95 to New Haven, the 15 route is more useful heading southbound as to swing north of NYC en route to NJ/PA. From the city its a little out of the way.

I would consider 91 to 84 out of New Haven though, as opposed to staying 95, just because I hate Providence.

9. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Neat town? I was always shocked at what a cesspool it was.

10. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I know it has a bad reputation but I had a good experience there, and enjoyed going into the little neighborhoods around campus.

11. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

not even reputation. I remember going there in college to play ball and thinking the town was garbage. Tack on the crime and it sucks. Even the areas around campus surprised me.

Went back up there two years ago for the Walter Camp Awards Dinner and still it just struck me as run down. That doesn't mean the food is equally rough, but I was surprised by the comment.

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

If I'm driving, I go from point A to point B with as few as stops as possible. Once I get where I'm going, I'll go out of the way to eat good food.

I very rarely travel outside of work right now, but once the babies aren't babies anymore, that will change.

13. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

That's me. I've always been in the point A to point B crowd. Now that we have kids old enough to see things, we stop much more often and even go out of our way to see things. Go to Neyland every time we're through Knoxville now.

14. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I mean it wasn't my favorite place in the world, but has enough history, good food, and nice architecture to keep a person entertained for four days on business. It's like Penn in some respects (great school in dumpy area) but I found Yale to be more walkable and compact.

15. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

The area around Penn has upgraded massively and is in the midst of a much needed Renaissance, but it's still a craphole. My wife told me absolutely no on going to grad school there.

16. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

They renamed the Penn area like University City or something like that when we were living there. It's still West Philadelphia to me. But I was up last year and it looked better but go past 40th and it's Philly again.

17. Joseph Brant

Go another 1/4 mile you're in Gary, Indiana.

18. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Why in God's name go there.

19. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

20. Joseph Brant

Getting experience as a war correspondent.