The Pembroke Postgame Report.

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by hatvol96, Nov 22, 2011.

1. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

1. ESPN needs to pull the plug on the lame attempts at humor at the start of the Maui broadcasts. You're in Hawaii having fun, we get it already.
    2. The first ten minutes were utterly atrocious defensively for UT. Memphis got wherever they wanted on the floor and took easy shot after easy shot.
    3. Jeronne Maymon was simply magnificent. That's as good an effort as a UT player has had against an elite opponent in a long, long time.
    4. Kenny Hall was slightly more effective offensively. He was still a liability defensively and didn't do near enough on the glass.
    5. Trae Golden was utterly terrible. He owes his teammates and coaching staff an apology for his selfish and senseless play.
    6. Josh Richardson showed he's not at all cowered by a big stage. Josh McRae needs to pick up his game or he's going to lose minutes.
    7. Cam Tatum also played as if he just picked up the game. His gamble that allowed Memphis to break down the UT defense and get a three at 77-76 was a inexcusable.
    8. Adonis Thomas is the truth. On a team loaded with talent, he's the best pure basketball player by a sizeable margin.
    9. This sets up a great rematch in January. I'd expect folks in Bluff City are a little more intrigued by that game after the clash they saw today.
    10. UT has made some real strides on this trip. It's imperative they don't extinguish all the positives by losing tomorrow.

2. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

I believe (hope?) Golden will have more good moments than bad this season... but man, he was a hot mess out there today.

Freaking Maymon. Where did this come from? When was the last time a UT player went 30-20? Ever?

3. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Agreed on all points, Hat. I loved what I saw from Maymon today. And I do believe Golden will get his head on right.

Do you think his bad play came from facing such an athletic tandem of guards?

4. Volnbama

Volnbama Contributor

You'd think a 5th year senior would play smarter than Cam Tatum does. He's taken some absolutely stupid shots this tournament

5. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Let's assume Tennessee wins tomorrow, does this tournament showing change your mind about their potential standing in the SEC?

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  6. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Hard to be mad, but I do have a punched in the gut feeling.

Obviously the "four minutes of funk" I got used to with Pearl teams isn't going away easily.

Still, a lot to like about what I have watched the last 24 hours.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

emain's fishing hard, haha.

8. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

I didn't get a chance to watch much of this game, so I want to know whether my new-found hopefulness is well-founded.

9. hatvol96

Why would beating Chaminade have any bearing on what I think?

10. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

I edited that. I meant the tournament as a whole.

11. hatvol96

The Oakland game has gained importance with UT's performance in Maui. If they can go on the road and get that one, they should be 4-2 coming home to play Pitt. I would hope that would result in a nearly full house and a great atmosphere.

12. BeachVol

BeachVol New Member

Maymon was unbelievable today and if Golden can learn from this, I think they could make the Tourney.

13. hatvol96

As of now, UT is playing better than the majority of the conference. Let's see how they handle the games that aren't as easy to get motivated for as the season progresses. Games like Oakland, Charleston, and ETSU will determine how this team goes into conference play.

14. hatvol96

The number of games I think UT has little to no chance to win is certainly shrinking.

15. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Seems like a fair assessment. I am still trying to temper my expectations, but am extremely proud of the product I saw on the floor (for the most part) despite the losses.

I will say this. I know fans of a lot of other schools in conference, and they have all been blowing my phone up with praise of this team and Zo's job so far.

16. volwarrior33

volwarrior33 Member

Maymon's play so far this year has reminded me somewhat of DeJuan Blair. Very impressive.

17. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

What an amazing game by Maymon.

UT had some great chances to win this game - most notably the set play to end the first OT. Tough break - one of the few that didn't go Maymon's way today.

That was fun to watch and Zo certainly has me raising my eyebrows.

18. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I think some folks thought "defensive-minded team" meant a team coached by John Chaney or Kevin O'Neill, trying to win games 56-54 every night, and holding the ball for 30 seconds every possession. It appears the mantra is bust your tail on one end, and shoot any open shot you want on the other. These first few games have been an eye-opener to me, that's for sure.

19. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

yeah he definitely got fouled at the end of the first OT but I guess refs don't want it to end on two FT shots.. Bob and Bert were going nuts that there wasn't a foul called.

20. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

My favorite types of players