Settlers of Catan

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by volfanjo, Nov 22, 2011.

1. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Has anyone played this board game? It is become something of a Thanksgiving tradition (along with the eating and football) in my extended family. I find it thoroughly fascinating, though I can't quite pinpoint why I like it or how to improve substantially. My cousin can see things in the game twenty turns before it seems to happen.

For those of you that don't play the game but like board games it is thoroughly entertaining. I also realize I have lost considerable credibility with 90-percent of the posters now. That's okay. Fire away, but I swear I never played D and D in my parent's basement and I have been on dates with women before.

2. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Never heard of it.

My Thanksgiving game playing tradition is Axis and Allies on the Wednesday before, and poker the Friday after.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

I've heard people discuss it, but have never played it. How long does a game take?

4. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

It can range from about an hour and a half or two. The longer the game the more interesting it can be. It is a strategy game along the lines of Risk, but imo, tons better.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Tempted to get this for my Step-dad, after looking at it. He is sort of a closet nerd like that and it would be a kick to play with the family, which is getting older.

6. JayVols

If you'd ever get your ass to TN, I'd play some Axis and Allies with you and some of my buddies. No way am I heading up your way. Too many Yankees up there......:)

7. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

This may be totally lame to you, but there are board game groups everywhere. They have a Settlers group at a bar near where I live. I have never gone to it, but apparently they are actually normal people who just like playing board games. Lame, but something cheap to do I suppose.

8. gorockytop101

gorockytop101 New Member

Great game.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

Eh. It's a geek's world these days. Whatever floats your boat. Look at the insane popularity of bar trivia. If it involves booze, it can be made to seem "cool."

10. JayVols

I'll kick your ass at some bar trivia.....

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

I used to have a trivia dream team in Knoxville. We were literally eating and drinking for free most Wednesday nights.

By some twists of fate, I will be able to put almost the exact same team together here in Denver this Spring. It's a bigger pond, but I think we can make some noise.

12. JayVols

Holler when you are going to be in Knoxvegas and we'll dominate the bar trivia. My head is full of useless stuff.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

December 14-30. I am planning on catching all the basketball games I can, as well.

14. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I'm not sure if you are talking about the Wednesday night trivia at Mellow Mushroom or not, but if so, our team Missing Steve Guttenberg had quite a run there for a while. 70s one hit wonders is my thing, followed by arcane presidential history.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

I used to do that one a lot, with Andy. When my group's schedule changed, we started going somewhere else because we hated the other guy.

And Brendan can kiss my ass. He was WRONG on two questions and refused to change either one. I even demonstrated he was wrong.

16. JayVols

I will be on Christmas break the 16th-Jan 2. Would be cool to try it. We'll talk as it gets closer.

17. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Andy is my boy. A Bengals fan and pretty fair basketball player. He did it right, for sure.

18. USAF_Vol

USAF_Vol Super Mod / Defender of Freedom

My brother and I would play Axis and Allies all the time when we were little. Loved that game.