In retrospect

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by WM, Nov 26, 2011.

1. WM

WM Active Member

Would we have a better coaching situation right now if we put the interim tag on Kippy in 10 and had Ohio State-like time to figure out what direction we wanted to go?
    Would recruiting have taken too big of a hit at a critical time to chance?

2. KingWebbsticles

KingWebbsticles Chieftain

Kippy was already a huge proponent in keeping that class together.

3. Vol by Birth

Vol by Birth Member

In retrospect that probably would have been the best option. We could have kept much of the staff together and hopefully not lost too much of the recruiting class. On the other hand, I am not sure if given the time Mike Hamilton would have made a better hire.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

Had the same thought, and I determined interim Kippy might have been a better long-term prognosis for the program than the debacle we now sit on the precipice of.

When I am upset I use big words.

5. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I'd say Kippy could be doing just as good of a job as we're seeing now.

6. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I am so focused on eliminating the joke of a head coach we have now, I don't know if this would have been better or not.

I know it couldn't be much worse than the charlatan Dooley.

7. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

Hell, they would have been better off handing the keys over to Willie Mack Garza than this current shit out there now.

8. vollygirl

vollygirl Guest

Hindsight's 20/20. If everything still played out the way it has, the injuries and dismissals from the teams, I don't think it would've mattered who the HC was. It would just be a different name we'd have been blaming for '10 and '11.

9. Vol by Birth

Vol by Birth Member

I seriously doubt he would do a worse job. I honestly dont know what Dooley brings to the table as far as coaching. Dooley has jumped from position to position throughout his career making me believe he was just kept on staff for his recruiting abilities. Kippy is a well respected WR coach that could at least contribute to finding a solution to our offensive woes.

10. WM

WM Active Member

Im not even really making a Kippy/Dooley comparison here. Would we have the time to make that home run hire and have a successful path laid out right now as opposed to the shithole we are in at the moment.
    I'm a little shaky now on if Bray can ever be a leader, he has the talent to rule the SEC, he just seemed to be missing that killer instinct to put down a hapless team today. Hopefully it's just due to his injury.
    Hamilton would have still made the hire, that's why i have my doubts.

11. vollygirl

vollygirl Guest

I don't have any reservations at all about Bray. I think he showed his leadership abilities on the sidelines the whole time he was out. I attribute today to still not being 100% from his injury combined with being sick this week and not getting the practices he needed.

I still say we needed Dooley to deal with all the NCAA crap. I'm not willing to say, even now, that it was a bad decision to bring him in when we did.

12. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

2 years later. Kippy definitely should have been named interim with a chance to earn the job.

13. vollygirl

vollygirl Guest

Without the pending investigation, I'd probably agree with you.

14. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I felt Kippy was never dealt a fair hand to begin with. Perhaps some knew of reasons why that wouldn't have been a good call, but I didn't think that went down the right way

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

I disagree. A big part of the problem here is a guy trying to pretend like he's the only one with a brain associated with the team. That is what is sticking in a lot of our craws, and that is what is behind throwing every player under the bus whenever things go wrong. Wouldn't have gotten that with Kippy.

And honestly, if Kippy went 6-7, we happily hire a new coach, probably offer him a permanent spot on the staff, and move on. With Dooley, we just hope it is part of "the process, and then freak out now that we realize it is the new "high water" mark.

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I was a huge fan of Kippy getting the interim job. Tennessee could be setting here watching Golden's first year in Orange or Sumlin or Rich Rod. But, we had to save a class where the majority of guys worth a [uck fay] were already on campus.

17. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I still am not a fan of the interim tag.

However, telling prospective coaches they had to keep to assistants on staff killed us.

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I'm not a huge fan of it either, but in that particular instance, it would have fit perfectly.

One rumor going around when Kiffin was hired is that Gruden had some interest here but was told Chavis would need to stay.

When Dooley gets the hammer, I would love to see Sirmon stay here. I think he's a good young coach that's only going to get better. However, if I have a big name coach that's interested, I'm giving him free reign to bring in whoever in the hell he wants.

19. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Considering chavis was more of a cause of the decline than anyone will ever realize, that's funny.

Im sure you know the stories.

20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I know a few.

One of my favorites is how much he hated Trooper Taylor's recruiting. The mustached fat [uck fay] refused to leave campus but would get pissed when an assistant would brag about how well they recruited.