The West End Avenue Postgame Report.

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by hatvol96, Nov 28, 2011.

1. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

1. Tennessee got exactly what they deserved tonight. The more aggressive, more motivated team won the game.
    2. Jordan McRae is the one real bright spot tonight. If he can continue that level of offensive efficiency, Tennessee will be a competent offensive team.
    3. Reggie Hamilton was just too much tonight. Nobody in orange had any luck guarding him.
    4. Managing to stick a layup on the back of the rim defines Renaldo Woolridge's career in Knoxville. It's as if his only value to the team is as comic relief.
    5. Trae Golden wasn't very good tonight. He's got to do a better job distributing the ball.
    6. The sequence at 59-54 when Wes Washpun missed the dunk and Jeronne Maymon self aborted a fastbreak was a real killer. UT had the momentum and was starting to put some doubt in Oakland's mind.
    7. Greg Kampe may look like Frank Caliendo, but he can flat coach. The race between Oakland and Oral Roberts for the Summit title should be a great one.
    8. Vanderbilt desperately needs Festus Ezeli back on the floor. Xavier absolutely assaulted them on the glass.
    9. Xavier's guards are the real thing. Tu Holloway and Mark Lyons can play with any pair of guards in the country.
    10. Jed's Sports Bar and Grille isn't a bad place to catch a game when in the Vanderbilt area. I heartily endorse the stadium dog and fries.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

I just don't get Woolridge. He looks like a beast of a basketball player, but it is like there is a tiny little alien pulling levers in the head, and he's just a goofy robot.

3. KingWebbsticles

KingWebbsticles Chieftain

Agree. But as the announcer said (about 450 times), this was the biggest game ever for Oakland on campus. This was their game of the season. Hard to beat that when the games ranks about 15ish on UT's schedule.

-McRae looks excellent. He was getting bailed out some by the refs but still was very aggressive.
    -Skyler McSuckAss needs to never see the floor, especially when playing faster, athletic teams.
    -I was disappointed in the bigs tonight. They got dominated on the boards by a less athletic RS freshman big man.
    -Oakland was blessed by the bball gods tonight. Anytime they needed momentum they converted on some freakish circus shot.

4. 7thgroupvolfan

7thgroupvolfan New Member

No doubt, long season ahead. Maybe this team can pull it together before SEC play begins.

5. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Where the hell is that?

6. hatvol96

The best description I can give is that it's behind the McDonald's on West End. It's directly behind a garage. I got the impression it hasn't been open all that long.

7. 7thgroupvolfan

Somewhere in vandy hell.

8. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

Starting to sink in that this team's destiny is like what we saw tonight and in the two losses in Hawaii. A scrappy little bunch that can keep it close, but just isn't good enough to string together a bunch of wins. Groundbreaking stuff here, I know.

9. hatvol96

The actual address is 114 28th Avenue.

10. cotton

By Centennial Park?

Used to be a bar there called Sweetwater, I think. I'll be in the area Wednesday, so I might look it up.

I spent 7 years in Vandy hell. That's why I was asking.

11. cotton

I'm sure it's the same place; I used to live on 33rd.

12. 7thgroupvolfan

I spent 7 years in Vandy hell. That's why I was asking.

roger out

13. hatvol96

It looks like an old two story house that's been converted into a bar.

14. cotton

Different spot, but close. Pretty sure I know it.

If you get a chance, kiss a tri-delt and smack an SAE, just for old time's sake.

15. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Exactly what I thought. Maybe the only other Vol I can remember who could've managed that was Boomer Herndon.

16. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

You thinking of Springwater? That one may actually still be there.

17. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

It was said a few times that this game would be a good indication of where we are as a team. Unfortunately, they looked a lot closer to our preseason expectations than the team that clawed with Duke. They don't have much of identity offensively. McRae, Golden, and Maymon have all had their moments, but they've rarely looked like a cohesive unit so far this year. Defensively, they're giving up too many open shots. Oakland hit some lucky shots last night, but they had a bunch of open jump shots and drives to the basket as well.

18. cotton

Yes. Very popular with the "made my ID on a laser printer" crowd.

19. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Yep, had an illegal drink or two there back in the day. They used to have some good music every now and then. In the summer it was miserable, because the air-conditioning is pretty much non-existent.