Which character from Greek Epics is [ddiapos]?

Discussion in 'VOLuminous' started by IP, Nov 29, 2011.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

Nothing quite captures the struggles of life like works of great literature. Homer's epics, The Bible, The Baghavad Gita, etc.

What character from the Iliad or Odyssey is [ddiapos]? Some might claim he is Hector, the true hero fighting a hopeless battle that is doomed for tragedy.

Some might claim he is cunning Odysseus, making his way through trials and tribulations on his voyage to get his program "back."

I have a darker theory: Dooley is Patroclus, Achilles' young cousin. Like Patroclus wished to imitate Achilles, so does Dooley wish to be 'the next Saban." We all know what happened to Patroclus.

2. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Reminds me most of the God Ares. Only important because his name, and everytime something goes wrong he runs home crying to his parents.

3. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

And like the same epic, Saban will likely avenge Pactroclus' death as well...

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

Solid.

5. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Icarus.

He has taken on a task that his ego said he could handle, but he doesn't have the actual ability to pull it off.
    He is trying to fly higher than his abilities will allow and he has crashed back to Earth. Hard. REALLY hard.

6. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

I don't know, which one of them was a worthless piece of shit who everyone with any intelligence hated?

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think that would be Hephaestus. The crippled smith-god. He worked in his fiery volcano forge on Sicily, while his hot wife Venus banged everything that moved. Everyone hated him for no real reason other than he was an ugly failure.

But the hair and pants don't fit.

8. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Also

Aite - spirit of delusion, infatuation, blind folly, recklessness and ruin

I had to wikipedia that because I forgot the name. It fits.

9. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I bet Coach Dooley himself would approve of this thread. Surprised he hasn't used a Greek mythology metaphor himself in a presser.

10. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I contend the fact we're comparing our coach to Greek gods and heroes is another reason he must go immediately.

11. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

How about, which 80s song is Dooley most like?

I am going with "We Built this City." Created by someone who was once pretty good, but holy [uck fay] it sucks.

12. CardinalVol

Sadly, during dinner I sat there and pondered which kid's show character is he most like. So far the best I can come up with is Daffy Duck - kinda funny and cute at first, but really doesn't provide anything and gets really annoying after prolonged doses.

13. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

"Somebody's Watching Me" by Rockwell. He's only got the gig because of his dad and Wil Muschamp did background vocals in an attempt to make him appear competent.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Remember, Greek "heroes" aren't the same as our meaning of the word. The greatest villains of our fiction would also fit under "heroes" as the greeks defined. Notoriety and honor were one and the same.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

As far as a cartoon character, I am going with Foghorn Leghorn.

[video=youtube;-LCsiWL6gn0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LCsiWL6gn0[/video]

16. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

"The Final Countdown"

17. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

How about "I Don't Like Mondays" by the Boomtown Rats. It certainly applies to how I feel during football season.

(And before you say it, yes, I know what the song is really about).

18. CardinalVol

I saw this originally, laughed, and then came back later, saw this again, and laughed harder.

Well done.

19. Lexvol

Lexvol Guest

I'll go with Bobby Heenan. Up to this point his mouth is his only real contribution.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2011