2015 FL #1 Dual Threat QB Torrance Gibson

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by MaconVol, Jan 12, 2014.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

I thought we picked up that 4 star QB from Texas?

2. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

So the QB floodgate thing shouldn't be too much of a concern. We have a good one.

4. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I think the comment was made more from him getting burned by the floodgate than UT. But I don't see it applying here. Anyone will be happy to have him on signing day.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

No doubt.

6. DirtyVol

DirtyVol New Member

Most big time qbs want to be the only one taken so they don't have to worry about the depth chart. He's waited too long for that.

7. NorthGaVol

NorthGaVol Vols, Bitch

Gibson talking about Dormady committing to UT

8. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Love that sentiment. Especially from a big-time player.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

It lets you know who has confidence.

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He'll probably end up catching passes from Dormandy

11. Which would be fantastic

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Yes

13. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

This is what I have been starting to think as well.

14. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

A lot of assumption here.

15. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I admit I'm rather confused with the matter. If we do in fact land Gibson, wouldn't he be a better fit in bUTch's offense? I'm not knocking Dormandy at all mind you. It's just that he's a pocket passer type according to everyone, and I'm just not a fan of the read no-option play...over and over and over.

So, I ask this: Is Dormandy a bird in the bush type because of the uncertainty of the Gibson timeline? That's not to say that Dormandy isn't good. Rather, it's just a good idea to know that you've got a quality QB committed so you won't be left twisting in the wind if the QB that fits your scheme better and has said he's willing to wait until NSD to make his final decision doesn't pan out. Am I way off base here or not?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
  16. NorthGaVol

NorthGaVol Vols, Bitch

I think Ferguson leaving really changed the plan that Butch may have originally had. With only Dobbs and Peterman now on scholarship for 2015, it was absolutely imperative that he locks up at least 1 QB for sure. With Ferguson out of the picture, Butch really couldn't roll the dice and wait for Gibson due to the chance that he could get burned late in the game and not sign a QB for the 2nd year in a row. Now Butch has his safety net so that he can play the wait and see game with Gibson.

On top of that, Dormady is an EE and has been absolutely blowing up since he was cleared to throw. I think Dormady is good enough that Butch won't be crying if he misses on Gibson but TG is still his #1 target at QB.

Just imagine how far up shit creek without a paddle CBJ would've been if he went into '15 with only Dobbs and Peterman on the depth chart.

17. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I think you're on to something here.

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Butch ran through a lot of QBs at Cincy too. It always seemed like there was a 1a and a 1b while he was there but I could be getting Kelly's time there mixed in with Butch's.

Jauan Jennings is interesting too. I think he'll end up as a DB here, but he has apparently improved his QB skills a lot. Butch could end up with one pocket QB in Dormandy, one athletic QB in Gibson and one athlete that can play QB in Jennings.

19. NorthGaVol

NorthGaVol Vols, Bitch

I don't think it's a coincidence that they really turned up the heat on Dormady as soon as Ferguson left. They seemed pretty content on waiting on Gibson up until that point IMO.

I will say that while I think Gibson could potentially turn into a Cam Newton-esque monster in CBJ's read-option spread, Dormady has enough speed to be able to run it. He's got above average speed for a QB but it's really not so much about having the speed to run rather the sense to tuck the ball when the DE is crashing on the RB and you've got a wide open lane to run in (I'm looking at you, Worley).

20. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

I think that's a great recipe for getting your ass beat by every top half team in the SEC.