Backpacking

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by VOLFREAK11, Nov 30, 2011.

1. VOLFREAK11

VOLFREAK11 New Member

I have a 1 hour Backpacking and Outdoor Living Class. Were doing a 15 mile hike through over the weekend at LBL. I'm a relatively picky eater and I still can't think of what food to bring to cook in my mess kit. Any ideas? I'm bringing plenty of Clif Bars though.

2. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Will you be able to light a fire? If so, hobo pack is the way to go. Diced potatoes, ground meat and an onion cut in half for flavor. Ball it up in aluminum foil and throw it in the fire for 25-30 minutes. Filling, tasty, and easy.

3. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

4. VOLFREAK11

VOLFREAK11 New Member

This is a 3 day hike, we leave around 3 p.m. on Friday and get back sometime Sunday. Were supposed to be cooking on these tiny ass mess kits. I'm thinking about asking my recruiter if he will give me some MRE's. If I do, QP whats the best meat mre?

5. VOLFREAK11

VOLFREAK11 New Member

I'm considering bringing a small flask with a little bit of Jim Beam in it. This professor seems like he wouldn't care at all if he found out.

6. VOLFREAK11

VOLFREAK11 New Member

I'm going to give him a call because it will be easy to get ready and eat and it will be free. Its to damn cold to be having this backpacking trip though.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Try not being a picky eater.

8. VOLFREAK11

VOLFREAK11 New Member

I'm really not that picky, I'll eat basically any meat. I'm just not a big soup kind of person and that is really the most convient thing to cook.

9. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

shit, three days. I'd bring more beer then.

10. VOLFREAK11

VOLFREAK11 New Member

Ha. The bad thing about it is I'm missing the fraternities christmas party because of this. No Edward 40 hands for me.

11. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Who the [uck fay] does that for a christmas party? Don't you no the reason for the season?

12. VOLFREAK11

VOLFREAK11 New Member

I know the reason for the season, were talking about a college fraternity party not my parents christmas party

13. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

You're suppose to drink to how the grinch stole christmas, and every time you hear who, you drink.

14. VOLFREAK11

VOLFREAK11 New Member

I'd get [uck fay]ed up quicker by trying to chug two 40s of Bud Light.

15. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

old english

16. VOLFREAK11

VOLFREAK11 New Member

You'll catch me with 40s about once a year, probably a good thing I wont be playing, I'd be just about done for the night after chugging two.

17. VOLFREAK11

VOLFREAK11 New Member

lulz I'll pass. A month or so ago some of my buddies back home told me I couldn't drink 3 40's of Bud Heavy. I managed to do it. Regretted it in the morning though.

18. VOLFREAK11

VOLFREAK11 New Member

Whenever I go to parties I knock out a 12 pack over the course of the night. But I'm also 5'10 145lbs, drinking 80oz of beer in a 15 min or less period would have me really messed up.

19. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Chicken and Salsa is alright. Mix it all together; the crackers and cheese into the main packet. Eat.
    I like Spaghetti, too.

Cases have probably changed, but don't get the Veggie meal (Tortellini), they suck. Avoid the Beefsteak and Mushrooms, as well.

Your recruiter would likely not give you MREs, because, honestly, why the hell would a recruiter have access to MREs, unless he just is in with the supply guy at a local base. A recruiter's MREs is McDonalds.

20. VOLFREAK11

VOLFREAK11 New Member

Well this is at the Natl Guard Armory, he mentioned having some.