Hey droski, something I know we'll agree upon, brother...

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by JayVols, Jul 18, 2014.

1. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Earthquakes suck. Check out the latest USGS 50 year earthquake projections. Seems like not only West Tennessee shares a high risk with you in Cali. Us East Tennessee folks look to be at risk now as well. Lyle, you're sitting on a powder keg too over in Coastal South Carolina.

[​IMG]

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Us Californians don't really worry about earthquakes

3. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

True; my wife does not worry about earthquakes but tornadoes concern her. I am not concerned about tornadoes but don't care for earthquakes.

4. JayVols

Then again, maybe not... Dang it. I thought I had something here. Oh well, I tried.

I was surprised to see a high risk area in East Tennessee. Really surprised. There's an abandonded 1/4 completed nuclear power plant about 4 or 5 miles from my house from the late '70s/early' 80s. I've heard several reasons asto why they abandoned the project. 1. They overestimated the power needs of the area. 2. The warm water discharge into the river would kille the endangered snail darter minnow 3. It was built on top of a minor earthquake fault. I can see how earthquakes & nuclear reactors wouldn't be a good mixture.

5. JayVols

This is me. I was participating in a Civil War reenactment in '02 in Aiken, SC. We were camped 2 miles away from the nearest building when a tornado passed within 500 yds from our camp. I thought it was cool rather than scary. The rain hit so hard that it stung pretty bad though.

6. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

At least you tried to find so,e common ground.

7. JayVols

I really do try, my man.

We have football if nothing else.

8. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

We agree on most things, but just see the how differently.

9. JayVols

I must say that you seem to understand me pretty well. That makes me kinda worry for you.

10. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I'm in that green area, baby! Sucks for Charleston

11. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

some dude predicted that there would be an earthquake on the New Madrid fault Dec 2nd or 3rd in 1990. I won a dollar off a girl at school betting it wouldn't happen

12. JayVols

Duh.

Tsunamis.

13. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

So, what I'm getting from this map is that I should move to Texas or Florida

14. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Well Florida looks great! Of course we have that whole sea level thingy.

15. JayVols

Texas- drug cartels, tornadoes, faux redneck cowboys that have never stepped in their 1st pile of cow shit, Cowboys fans & [ddiapos].

Florida- jort wearing gator fans, lightning capital of the US, hurricanes & sinkholes.

I'll take my chances with earthquakes.

16. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I have seen a tornado at night and it wasn't pleasant in the fact that it was just suddenly there about 1/4 mile away from my window. A category 4 or 5 tornado would have me scared shitless. My wife experienced a pretty big earthquake in Peru in 2007 and she is pretty vehement that they are scary as hell.

17. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Ain't scared.

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I apologize, but the chances of being hurt by an earthquake are pretty slim.

19. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I was in Dallas last week and felt like I was in a huge funk the entire time I was there. I was prepared for all the other things you mentioned, but I forgot the bolded part.

20. JayVols

It's all good.

There's just something about the ground beneath my feet violently shaking that strikes me as a bit disconcerting.