TSR Going Off The Air

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Vol2424, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Vol2424

Vol2424 Contributor

2. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Let me show you my shocked face

3. Vol2424

Vol2424 Contributor

Surprised they made it 4 years tbh. I can't remember the last time I listened, but Swain was about the only one that was worth a damn. And that was only after Rucker left.

4. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

One time Swain's cohost, I guess it was Rucker, went on this rant about some article that named the top 5 UT wide receivers and declined to include Swain. Guy went off for like five minutes and then asked Swain what he thought. "I mean, I might be top 10, maybe."

5. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

And hopefully Basilio is eating a slice of Elidio's pizza and smiling.

6. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Interesting. I've not listened in a while, nor kept up with it.

Oh well.

7. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Take the three most halfway worthwhile personalities and have them replace Doc, Jeff, and Heather.

8. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I may be in the minority here but I liked Ainge when there was actual football to keep him focused. Hadn't listened to any of the rest of them in forever.

9. Vol2424

Vol2424 Contributor

Did they fire him, or could they just not afford him? It took me awhile to get used to Basilio. But his show is much better than I gave it credit for the first few times I tried to listen. Just takes time I guess. Plus the commercials are funny as hell. He's really the only decent choice left. 3HL is ok, but I get the Finebaum vibe from that show, and end up changing the station pretty quickly.

10. Snakeonia

Snakeonia Active Member

from what I remember it all started with the cattleman saying stuff about Ainge. Ainge then interrupts Tony's show to tell Tony no one else on the station would have cattleman call in. Tony replies saying that's fine, but don't tell me who can and can't call in to my show. If I'm not mistaken not even a week later Tony announces that JayBay has basically fired him.

11. Vol2424

Vol2424 Contributor

His show was good when it first started. Then it turned into an annoying joke shortly after.

12. JohnnyQuickkick

he wasn't even really officially a part of TSR, he was buying that time from them

13. Vol2424

Vol2424 Contributor

I remember hearing about that. Sounds like something Jay would do for his "best bud" Erik.

14. Snakeonia

Snakeonia Active Member

correct, but JayBay decided to end it

15. JohnnyQuickkick

he's a good dude...was at one of the World Cup listener watch parties, and he was going around talking to everybody, and at one point standing in a chair giving away soccer balls and t-shirts and stuff, and Hat says "Can you imagine Dearstone standing in a chair doing that right now?" and of course the answer is no

16. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Local sports radio has gone down hill the last several years, where you get five minutes of talking followed by 10 minutes of "news" "weather" and commercials. And more commercials. And finally more commercials.

I am sad to see TSR go, as I enjoyed Ainge in the morning during football season and Swain was not bad, either, but went off the air too soon for me to listen on the way home. During the whole Gruden Incident, I think the station outgrew itself, and wonder if that was their downfall? Or the local market just cannot support two stations?

17. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

I enjoyed his career, but there's no way he's top 10. Top 20.

18. JohnnyQuickkick

Top 20 would be pushing it wouldn't it?

19. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I don't even mean this as a dig, but purely a statement of fact: I have never heard a single person say that they liked Sports Animal. I've heard people say its "tolerable" or "not that bad", but even those are the vast minority. Knoxville is begging for a legitimate second option in local sports talk, IMO. On the rare occasions that I do listen, if hearing the hosts themselves doesn't force me to turn satellite / podcasts on, then the first caller inevitably will.

I haven't listened to more than 3 minutes of TSR, total, since Tony B left.

I do wonder where Hooker lands - are there any remaining local media outlets that he hasn't already done / left? I wonder if Swain gets a gig somewhere? Ainge? Like I said in a post a few weeks ago, Ainge may be an ok color guy, but he's nowhere near to being a lead.

20. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Maybe top 25 to be a little less controversial.