UPDATE From "Inside" Source

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Tenacious D, Dec 3, 2011.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I received the following text about an hour ago, from a buddy who knows some people invloved, when we were comparing notes gathered over the last few days.

**NOTE - While a trusted acquaintance to me, as an anonymous person to all of you (unless you frequent our same bath house), I would insist that take this all with a grain of salt at best, or simply ignore it as so much baseless Internet rumor-mongering with no thread of truth, at worst. In fact, you shouldn't read it. And, no, I can't tell you who it is, nor do I know if this is true - but the guy is typically tight with telling me only what he knows, and it's usually true (with some slight variation in details, if any)**

Still reading through your manifesto of a blog - you have a great way of offering a strong insight, subtle but certain. Hopefully, people read between the lines. It's really excellent thus far, just as I imagined it would be. Youve got the contacts to figure out the Dooley stuff, without me (as do several on your site, from my lurking the last few days) - but heres where it stands insofar as I am aware: It looks to hinge on whether Wilcox and/or Chaney stay - and we won't know either of those until bowls and NFL playoffs conclude, I think. But, that nothing has come out from Hart still suggests (to me) that either something is in serious doubt with Coach D. That, or Hart's just as stupid as everyone else up there, either by letting this fester with no intention to quell it by even issuing a damn statement of some sort. I think it's the former - and that there is nothing to say until it begins to fall (or is pushed) in one of several directions. More in a few.

2. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

I take it they want Wilcox to remain and Chaney out right?

3. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

It would seem to me that the inference is "they" want them both to stay. If you want a guy gone, it is easy to get him gone. That wouldn't seem to be a question. If you want a guy to stay, you might have to wait on a definitive answer.

JMO.

4. Tenacious D

And the final rumor / lie / unabashed half-truth:
    But - i don't know which would be worse for Dooley....losing both OC & DC ( he's gone, if that IMO)....or trying to hold onto them by giving fat raises....which would cause the lid to explode off of this fan base, if that happened after the calamity of this past season. And - for the record - I think that the boosters (who, many are still trying to see where they are in Hart's pecking order - when it was well-known where everyone stood with Hammy. As it typically falls along donated amounts, I have no involvement or fear of those fights. :)) are and will continue to exert tremendous pressure for something to be done.We simply cannot afford another year of this. If he can't get them under control, and quickly, he's going to find himself in a corner with no other readily available option but to deliver Dooley's head, for well or ill. My money is on the boosters bringing this to a head, ready, willing, wanting or not. Sooner, rather than later. The site looks phenomenal, and yes, several routinely tell me about the goings on, here. That's not their typical reaction, as you well know.

5. Tenacious D

With the exception of some minor personal edits, that's verbatim.

I can't add anything to it, really.

6. cotton

You may be right, but if that is the case, I don't know why you would need to wait on bowls or playoffs to make a decision.

7. cotton

And thanks!

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

To make sure you have a replacement there as soon as you get rid of someone?

I'm guessing I don't know for sure

9. cotton

Maybe. That would seem pretty dangerous, and it isn't the strategy usually followed, or nobody would get hired before that every year. Given the Chinese Firedrill that has been our decision making process within the athletic department of late, though, nothing would really surprise me.

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The AD and the BOT signed off on hiring [ddiapos] to save one recruiting class. Nothing would surprise me

11. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Thanks, TD.

Both for the info and a place that one doesn't have to [ussy pay]foot around to express a strong opinion for fear of deletion or exclusion.

12. Tenacious D

The assumption is that coaches won't leave until after bowls / NFL playoffs have concluded (Peterson to UCLA affects Wilcox, wouldn't go before bowl, and assuming full extent of NFL staff changes won't be known until playoffs are concluded, or at least a portion), and that Wilcox will leave for another college gig, whereas Cheney would likely go back to pro ranks.

13. Tenacious D

It's a 5/95 proposition...

If both Cheney and Wilcox return - 95% chance that Dooley will, too. For a final year (barring a 10+ win season or curb-stomping Bama)?

If we have to replace both OC & DC - 95% we replace Dooley, too.

14. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I still can't understand, why Tennssee would want Chaney to stay

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

But who could we replace him with in that sort of time in the off-season? That seems to greatly impact this list. Who am I forgetting about? ESPN commentators?

16. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

If we have to wait until after the NFL playoffs, who on earth would we hire? I don't want Dooley in Knoxville any longer than he has to be, but it seems like it would be a disaster to replace him without having someone that would definitely take the job, and that someone would have to be a hire that everyone would get behind.

17. cotton

If that is the thought behind the timing, I think a more likely scenario would be for Wilcox to leave in January, for Cheney to leave in February, and for Dooley to stay and try to piece work together a staff from the dregs of college football because there isn't anyone that is both capable and available to take the place of him or his departed assistants at that time.

18. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

most likely scenario, imo.

19. WM

WM Active Member

Wanna know how this program is going in the wrong direction?
    When tons of fans are dreaming of the big three to get the band back together.

20. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

I haven't fallen quite that far yet.