How FBS Should Be

Discussion in 'Sports' started by govols182, Dec 5, 2011.

1. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

Obviously, this is just my opinion, but I believe this is how it'll be in a few years. Especially after this years debacle.

4 Super Conference made up of 16 teams, 8 teams per division.

So, hypothetically, it would work like this:

Winner of the SEC W plays winner of SEC E. Winner of Pac 16 N plays winner of Pac 16 South. And so on...

We still have a conference championship games that matter, and actually are even more important. So now we have 4 conference champions.

Now we'll talk about At-Large bids to teams with certain qualifications. (Certain number of wins, certain conference rank, etc.) We could even still use the BCS rankings to decide teams that should get an At-Large bid. There are many different ways to find them. Regardless, there ends up being 4 At-Large teams.

These 4 At-Large teams play one of the conference champions. The winner of that game advances, and plays the winner of the another conference champion vs At Large game.

Now you are in the Semi-Finals of the bracket. 4 Teams all winning on the field and not decided by humans/computers.

Now there are just two teams left that have advanced through the playoff system. This is your national championship game. The winner is obviously the national champion.

You can still have bowl games, too. They just won't take place until the week of Jan 1st. One giant bowl week leading up to the national championship. We get around this by moving the conference championship game up one week to the end of November instead of the first week of December.

I think this could work better than the current system for everyone involved.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Eh. I'd watch. Only 1 extra game, too.

3. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

It puts everything on the teams. You have to win your games to have a shot. You have to not lose postseason to advance. It's 100x better than what we have now.

4. WM

WM Active Member

King of The Ring rules, no DQ's.

5. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

The idea is solid, but I don't see it ever happening. Definitely not any time soon. It took one hundred years of football before we made the last major change.

6. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I'd like it a lot. 4 team playoff that wouldn't allow many undeserving teams to get in.

However, there's one really big problem that many people seem to be missing when discussing super conferences. That would only include 64 teams. That's not even enough to include all the teams currently in BCS conferences. Who is told to get out? Also, what about the rest of the teams in the FBS? Do they have to drop down to the FCS?

At least we could stop calling it FBS and FCS and go back to Division 1-A and Division 1-AA.

7. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

They're competing for the At-Large bids...or we could even have 8 super conferences with a guaranteed spot in the playoff. This is just a starting point.

8. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Sorry I didn't read the first post clearly enough. In think 8 teams is too much. I'd like to see them find a way to do 4 (preferably), or do 6 with two byes.

I wouldn't mind the 8 super conferences with a guaranteed playoff spot. The idea of having to win the conference to get in is solid, IMO. I just think you're going to have too much imbalance among the conferences.

To be honest, I would just prefer a 4 team playoff based on the top 4 teams in the BCS.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  9. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

I'm all for a small number of teams in a playoff if it was to ever happen as well, but there would never be a perfect cutoff where the first team left out wouldn't be [itch bay]ing or something. Take this year for example. If you were to use the top four in the BCS, you'd have Stanford in and Oregon out. Oregon lost one more game, but they beat the crap out of Stanford and won the conference.

10. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

No matter what the size of the playoff, the team that gets left out is [itch bay]ing. [uck fay] 'em. Right now we have a two team playoff. There is only team left out that has a legit argument. Oklahoma State. If we were to go to a plus-one, I would be completely unconcerned with the 5th team out. Constrain yourself to thinking about which teams belong in a 2 team playoff. The current thought process. There has never been a year when more than 4 teams had a legit argument for 'best team in country. And I'm not even sure there has ever been a year where there were more than 3. A plus-one is just such a nice solution that doesn't cause a great deal of carnage. The challenge is of course preventing further expansion, which I am definitely against.

11. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

Looks like a +1 is in the future and the super conferences will never happen...this supposedly was discussed today at an NCAA meeting. Heard about it on the ESPN radio. They said the powers that be didn't want it like that.