Free Money: NCAA Basketball

Discussion in 'Sports' started by kidbourbon, Nov 30, 2011.

1. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

There are three games I like and I haven't even looked at the games that tip-off after 8pm. Tonight could be a Free Money extravaganza.

Anything else look tasty to anybody?

UNC-Wilmington+1.5
    Penn State-4.5
    URI-5

I went in last night reasonably big on Illinois-4 vs. Maryland and not big enough on tOSU-4.5 vs. Duke (this line later moved). I also went in on ODU, which I lost, but all that really mattered last night for me was the Illinois play. Winning or losing that one was gonna dictate my outcome for the evening.

Maryland is atrocious. Nobody on that team has anything even approaching a recognizable basketball skill. And yet they aren't as bad as Boston College, as I am banking on above. Are these the two worst major conference teams this year? Any other nominees?

2. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Getting into the time of the season that kept me drinking the top shelf stuff and paid for my trips to Vegas when I was in school. Find teams playing on the road during their final exam period. Then, bet like hell against them. One of the most profitable "rules" I ever had for betting on college hoops.

3. Volnbama

Volnbama Contributor

I only do 1 game a night. Went with Memphis last night and I have MTSU -4.5 tonight

4. Volnbama

Volnbama Contributor

[uck fay] You MTSU. Way to show up against the one of the worst UAB teams I've ever seen

5. kidbourbon

I lost that game as well, but I doubled down on VT-6 against a horrendous URI team. Absolute Free Money. So I ended up positive on the evening.

6. kidbourbon

Who you got tonight? I don't love any of these games, but I've been putting in at least one play a night, and just going small money if I don't love love any of the games. I may try a little providence-13.5 for size, but I'm certainly not gonna go big.

7. kidbourbon

Good tip. Exam period should be starting most places.

8. Volnbama

Volnbama Contributor

Took Providence and West Virginia tonight. So far so good.

9. kidbourbon

I took Georgetown last night on the moneyline. Boom!

I'm taking Kent St. tonight on the moneyline. I got them at -165, which is a very reasonable price. For small favorites, I think the moneyline is the smarter play. Games like Purdue or UConn last night happen all the damn time.

10. kidbourbon

I'm on Mizzou tonight, [itch bay]es! Both ML and spread. I really like the ML. CBB MLs ramp up linearly with the spread until about 10 points, and then the ML goes [dadgum] ballistic. Mizzou is favored by 8 and so the ML is right there at the base of the inexplicable college basketball moneyline uphill ramp. I would have set the line at roughly Mizzou-13.5, which would have resulted in a no-play on the ML because, again, it just goes [dadgum] ballistic. It is for these and other reasons* that I believe Mizzou to be the play of the evening.

I'm on a little mini hot streak. ::knock on wood:: Let's see if we can keep the party going.

*I'm generally bullish on Mizzou this year.

11. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

so much for that. I'll give you another general rule of thumb that will carry you further than Hat's tip about teams on the road during finals' week. Don't bet on teams I have allegiances to. This would be: UT, Duke, Old Dominion, Oakland A's or the Washington Redskins.

When I say this, I mean don't bet for them or against them. You'll lose almost always.

12. kidbourbon

What did you mean there? Mizzou totally won the game. I had them for 50 on spread. I had them for 150 on the ML. The party is still going.

13. kidbourbon

Not hoops, but I also had Ok St on the moneyline tonight for a bill. I had to sweat that one out, but the party is still going.

14. kidbourbon

I try not to bet on UT. I'll occasionally bet against them because I don't mind if I lose.
    I only dabble in the NFL here and there, but I have gone against the 'skins this year and won.
    I don't bet on baseball. I actively dislike baseball and to bet on baseball would require me to follow the sport.
    ODU is bad as a favorite, but they aren't half bad at covering spreads as dogs. I'm not sure if I've been on either side of them this year, though.
    I have to disagree on Duke. Coach K isn't afraid to cover a spread. I don't take them as a general rule, but I'm not afraid to go in on them. I only had them once this year and they didn't cover for me -- missed by a half point on a garbage time score -- but I could see myself potentially going back in on them.

15. kidbourbon

I took Bama last night. Boom!

May be on a little Xavier tonight. Or perhaps a little JMU. Or perhaps a little WVU. Or K-St. Or Syracuse. Maybe Wichita. Thinking 'bout Duke as well. Maybe I'll mix and match.

16. kidbourbon

God bless you, Missouri.
    God bless you, Syracuse.

Thank you for having a healthy sack of balls to keep you from becoming overwhelmed by the hostile environment that comes with the territory of conference road games. Thank you for not pulling a tOSU and losing to an inferior opponent that you would have beaten by double digits at home. Thank you for remaining so focused on the process of executing your gameplan that you not only won the game, but went above and beyond that simple accomplishment and in fact exceeded expectations by covering the point spread. In so doing, you have done all that is in your power to ensure that KidB -- unlike last night -- does not transform into a fiery ball of 200 proof rage.

Dear tOSU: yeah, about last night. Go [uck fay] yourselves. You will soon find out what happens when you [uck fay] a stranger in the ass. And you won't like finding out what happens, tOSU, when you [uck fay]. A stranger. In the ass.

17. kidbourbon

I hit a little 4-team hybrid ATS/ML parlay yesterday evening:

Wisconsin at +135
    Idaho-1
    Elon at -165
    Mississippi State at -340

The choice of these games was mostly determined by timing. On these parlays I like to take 3 7pm games that are either dogs, even money, or small favorites. I also like to choose games that I think are good plays (obviously). And then for the 9pm game I will take a bigger favorite. The idea here being that if I hit my first three, I can hedge a little bit on the 4th game by putting down a small play at the moneyline on the dog. Here, the dog was Tennessee, and I wasn't able to put down a hedge play on them because the Idaho game went into overtime. Idaho won by 2 in overtime, and of course Tennessee did not win the game outright, so this one hit.

18. docholiday

docholiday Contributor

I just saw this thread. I do this stuff for a living. I will post a few college and NBA during the season.

tonight Penn St. +3

19. kidbourbon

Good start. Keep posting. You're my huckleberry.

I had UNC tonight, which hit. But I also had Indiana the other night against Nebraska. Ouch!

20. docholiday

docholiday Contributor

YTD 1-0

Colorado over 128

Thanks....lol