If Wilcox leaves for ASU.

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Jewbaccah, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Jewbaccah

Jewbaccah New Member

It reflects very poorly on Dooley. ASU is a mess right now. They will likely fire their AD soon. I believe the word is AD is only be retained to get a HC of football? That is itself is a bad plan. They will likely need to fire their AD and hire a new one before hiring a sold HC. All that being said, if he does leave it means he truly does not like working with Dooley. He has his defense built. Next year should be his year to shine at which point he could leave for a better situation. Just my 2 cents...

2. Jewbaccah

Jewbaccah New Member

He would be the HC. Message boards are where we worry....

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Yes, Jewbacca. If this hypothetical occurred, it would reflect very badly on Dooley.

4. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Losing a coordinator for a BCS head coaching position reflects badly?

5. Jewbaccah

Jewbaccah New Member

When it is known he will have a new AD and 2 years to get it done...it is like a boxer fighting the champ before he is ready. At UT he should look very good next year.

6. Jewbaccah

Jewbaccah New Member

I see I guess no major programs are firing coaches after 2 years. It never happens.

7. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

As we have seen, he may not even be fired if he does drive it into the woods....(cough cough) Dooley (cough cough)

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  8. Jewbaccah

Jewbaccah New Member

I guess my perspective is if you like who you are working with and are in a positive situation you do not leave to take a job in a negative situation. Wilcox makes good money and I would imagine should be getting a raise. I know he is leaving eventually but I would think he would want to get his stock up and take a job at Oregon or Cal for example. If I was to leave what I had built here to take a job most would say is a very big challenge if not a sure loser, it says I do not like where I am. I do think he should get a raise here. I have no idea if that is actually going to happen.

9. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

It's a promotion to an HC job in a relatively soft conference. I see no problem here. He's probably only guaranteed 2-3 conference losses a year as HC.

10. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I can't see Wilcox liking the garbage that comes along with head coaching, like the rubber chicken circuit and dealing with the media.

11. Jewbaccah

Jewbaccah New Member

The talent in AZ is not good. RR is at Arizona now. ASU is in shambles right now. It is a bad spot.

12. Volguy1971

Volguy1971 Sith Lord

Well, depends on the sources of the rumors. Someone on VQ posted exactly how to lie about a rumor to footballscoop.com. So take it for what it's worth...a rumor only.

13. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Sounds easy enough.

Who's wants to try one next?

14. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

What does it say about Coach Martin that he took UT job with AD about to be fired and possible sanctions to a program in turmoil?

15. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

No.

You address that as best you can with the contract, but for somebody like Wilcox--a young and interesting, but not particularly big, name among coordinators--it is something you just might have to accept to get a bigger job than otherwise might be available. Ohio St wasn't throwing a 10 year deal at him.

Help fix the mess at ASU and he can write his own ticket. If he doesn't, he can go back to the DC ranks and isn't any worse off. I think there are a lot of things that reflect poorly on Dooley. If his DC were to accept the head job at ASU, that wouldn't be one of them.

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

this is the current rumor, but i can't see it. asu generally hires offensive coaches and wilcox hasn't exactly lit it up at tenn.

17. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

Anyone who thinks Wilcox should not take a HC job at a solid BCS school clearly does not understand the coaching profession.

18. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

If anything, it's a feather in Dooley's cap. Validates that the UT D-Coordinator job is a springboard to head coaching opportunities. Confused as to how it could be viewed as a negative.

19. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

For me, it would reflect much more poorly on Dooley if Wilcox made a horizontal move to be DC somewhere else.

20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

That screams "sinking ship".