The BBQ Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by CardinalVol, Dec 9, 2011.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Needs it's own thread IMO.

Tried Archer's BBQ for lunch. On a scale of 1-10, it gets a 3. Just a note - if you advertise yourself as Memphis style BBQ, don't let your special of the day be the brisket.

Still the two best in Knoxville area are Bread of Heaven and Dead End.

2. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

One of the best places in Memphis is known for its brisket...

Swing by next time through, we'll load up the guns and head on down there... where, yes, even the pit master is always armed.

But I do agree though, only pork BBQ.

3. CardinalVol

Which place?

4. fl0at_

Interstate BBQ.

5. fl0at_

The guy who caries, though, is the pit master at Tom's (Lamar). But I think most people would rather have Tom's rib tips (I don't like.)

6. CardinalVol

That was my guess. I've hit everywhere else but there.

Guess I've never tried Tom's either.

7. fl0at_

Tom's is fantastic. Absolutely must go. They upgraded a few years ago, but it really used to be a shack. Now it is an extended shack with fans and a TV, pretty nifty.

Everyone will say get the Rib Tips and Brisket combo... but that is on you. It might be that I just don't really like rib tips, but I thought they were a bit bland, fatty and dry, which is an awful combination.

If you get off the Interstate at Getwell, just head toward the "bad looking" (right if coming from Arkansas) area of town, and keep driving until you hit Raines road. It is on the right.

8. fl0at_

Dang, now I have BBQ on the brain. Cozy Corner ribs might be necessary, soon.

9. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

The most fun part of BBQ hunting is all the styles one stumbles upon, from KC through Memphis down to South Carolina and up to Lexington, NC.

I'm partial to Red Pig in Johnson City and Maurice's in Columbia.

10. fl0at_

Outside of Memphis and Kalispell, I can't say I've had much BBQ.

It is something that I want to like, but just can't get into it except on rare occassions. I'm not a huge rib fan, and a pork sandwich isn't hard to screw up, so...

A good home smoked shoulder with a vinegar base tops most of what I've eaten out. But I still go a few times a year, mainly to Tom's, though.

11. CardinalVol

Memphis is hands down my favorite, followed by St. Louis and then Cincinnati. Never had that much from KC, and can't stand Texas and loathe Carolina style.

12. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I have. I like it, though it is very much an acquired taste as I grew up on Western Carolina-style tomato-based. My personal favorite is Smithfield's bbq for Eastern NC-style, hold the slaw.

13. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Carolina-style bbq is varied (mustard, tomato, or vinegar) but predominantly pulled pork. If you are a rib guy I can understand why you wouldn't like it. KC bbq is a little too sweet for me. I actually like Texas for the smoked sausage and a little brisket. The pig is normally garbage there. St. Louis is fine. I'm curious why you said Cincinnati, though? I have been in that city quite a bit and wouldn't think of it to be a bbq haven. I would be interested to hear where you frequent there. EDIT: Nevermind, you're talking about the Montgomery Inn, I guess. Indeed, famous.

In Knoxville, I agree about Dead End, but mainly for the chicken... not the pork. I would add Sweet Pea's and Chandlers (for the ribs) to any discussion of Knoxville bbq. In fact, starting at Dixon's, then Scruggs, then to Chandler's is quite the Magnolia Ave. bbq culinary tour.

Just for good measure if you ever find yourself in Phila, PA and don't eat at Ron's Ribs, just south of Rittenhouse Square, you are doing a grave injustice.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  14. WM

WM Active Member

Read this and have a desire to fire up the smoker now.

15. CardinalVol

You are correct w/the Montgomery Inn. I'm a fan. That's really it, so maybe I am overstating the style.

I love Chandler's, but I can't get past the chicken breasts the size of my head there at lunch. I don't even consider it a BBQ place, it's in a league all it's own. I have yet to go to Sweet P's even though I've driven past it 1000 times. Tough to get to for lunch, and we just never think of it if we are going out to eat at night.

Dead End's BBQ nachos might be my favorite food in Knoxville.

If you've not made it to Bread of Heaven in Alcoa, I encourage there as well. I am a firm believer that any place that has civil rights activists on the wall is a fantastic BBQ establishment, and the people there are great.

Check it out - http://www.breadofheavencatering.com/

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

My favorite around Nashville is Center point in Hendersonville

17. Volguy1971

Volguy1971 Sith Lord

I would have to say that the Ridgewood sliced pork bbq in Bluff City is top notch for me.

18. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I like Bar B Cutie but I haven't had much Middle TN bbq to make a fair judgement.

19. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

i work dead smack right in the middle of both of them. it's a blessing and a curse.

Sweet P's is incredible. their brisket is the best i've ever had. their dry and wet wings are to notch too.

20. homefry20

homefry20 New Member

I knew I shouldnt have opened this thread. Cozy Corner ribs in Memphis are excellent. Might go get the wings for lunch though.