Vanderbilt football is returning to tradition

Discussion in 'Sports' started by IP, Sep 14, 2014.

1. nashvillevol

nashvillevol New Member

Recruits would argue otherwise. Vandy was finally competitive in the SEC. As much as I despised Franklin and his tactics, he did a good job during his time.

Also, was the rape incident linked in any way to academic standards? Did the perps all share low GPA's? I'm not being a smartass I am actually curious.

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Vandenberg was a JUCO signee.

3. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Pretty sure at least one of the other guys would not have been admitted under previous standards, also.

4. nashvillevol

nashvillevol New Member

Well then I can understand the angst, but it's tough to generalize all jucos and academically under performing players as potential troublemakers. Even smart kids make stupid decisions.

5. cotton

Why in God's name is Vandy admitting "academically under performers," including and especially JuCo transfers?

The school sold a bit of its soul. The results are a dogpile on the unconscious chick and an almost .500 record for a couple of years.

6. nashvillevol

nashvillevol New Member

Ok, well I guess fans should get used to thrillers with the likes of UMass.

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

it's all a matter of scale right? I very much doubt before they lowered their standards that the football players still resembled the general student population.

8. cotton

Are the only options to retain some integrity and suck or to let in rapists and cover up their crimes but make a bowl?

If so, I'll take 'A.'

9. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Honest question: You don't think that was going on before the relaxation of standards? I argue that entitled rich kids getting in on their daddy's check book are just as prone to such behavior (if not more) than the questionable athlete getting in because he runs a 4.4 and weighs 220 pounds.

10. cotton

You are correct.

The general rule, as I understood it, was that kids would be considered if they had a legit chance to graduate in 5 years through one of the standard academic programs (almost always Peabody's H&OD major.) I'd argue that formula has worked pretty well in every sport except football, where numbers just kill you.

11. cotton

Yes. There were gang rape parties every Thursday when I was an undergrad except during finals, but only if you weighed less than 200#.

What the hell are you asking?

12. nashvillevol

nashvillevol New Member

I think his point is that it's not just the stupid athletes involved in sexual assaults. Obviously the situation mentioned above received national attention (as it should), but there are shady people at all rungs of income and intellect.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

that can cover a lot of ground. give any semi literate person around the clock tutoring and an easy major and they can have a legit chance to graduate in 5 years.

14. cotton

There are.

None of them were admitted to Vandy despite their academic shortcomings. The football players involved in the incident were.

15. cotton

You'd be surprised. Although it is typically considered the weakest college in Vanderbilt University academically, Peabody is the #1 college of education in the country. That simple standard weeds out many, many more prospects than you would initially believe.

16. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Exactly. Thinking this started because of the relaxation of standards for football players seems naïve to me.

A kid getting in because his dad built a building on campus is just as likely to rape as a football player that has less than stellar grades.

A kid with perfect grades is just as capable of rape as well.

Unless I am not understanding you, Cotton.

17. cotton

I seriously don't know what you are talking about.

The school let in football players who had no business academically being in school. Said football players were involved in the gang rape of an unconscious girl.

Unless somebody named a building after one of the rapists, the point you are trying to make is irrelevant and also dumb.