"Committee won't put two teams from one league in playoff"

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Indy, Sep 16, 2014.

1. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

8 team playoff needs to happen ASAP

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Require playoff teams to be conference champions. Done.

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

4 is enough that no one with any legit argument to win the NC gets left out.

4. syndicate

syndicate Well-Known Member

Should be the 4 best teams no matter the conference even if all 4 are from the SEC, the west division, pac12, or even the MAC.

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I think you could certainly limit to two teams. remember there was a point where we thought ohio state and Michigan were clearly the two best teams in the country only to see ohio state get annihilated in the NC game.

6. syndicate

Then you're not getting a playoff with the 4 best teams.

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

you act like that determination isn't completely subjective.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Ya, I'm failing to see how we could be sure the 4 best teams are, say, all in the SEC. How would we know that a 2 or 3 loss SEC team is better than an undefeated FSU or Oregon? Fairly, I mean?

9. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

We?

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

I called their records a house of cards.

11. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I remember arguing with friends all the way up to that game. One of my high school buddies was a big OSU fan.

And they didn't just beat them. They completely dominated them.

12. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Just 3 days removed from watching them lose to unranked Virginia, I'll go ahead and call it...

Louisville upsets FSU on Oct 30.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I guarantee you if the playoff existed they would have been #1 and #3

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It's really that simple

15. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Cool story. I said Florida would beat them, and they annihilated them. I don't care what rankings say if I disagree with them.

16. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Of course they will if two of the four best teams are in the same conference.

I don't see what the beef is with the selection committee :):cough:: worst poster on the internet ::cough cough:: ). Figuring out the four best college football teams in the land isn't focking semiconductor circuit design. There might be arguments on the fourth slot, but that's what you ask for when you expand it to four. With normally distributed sets -- literally, by definition -- the differences between the last team in and the first team out will be inversely proportional to the number of teams included. This is exactly why the CFB playoff field should not be expanded to 8 times. And it's exactly why the CFB playoff will inevitably be expanded to 8 teams.

But the notion that the committee is going to conspiratorially disregard their stated purpose and select the teams with some ulterior objective -- what that objective might be is something you'll have to ask the worst poster in the history of the internet -- is fairly absurd given the size, makeup, and diversity of the committee, and the members' cognizance of the public scrutiny applied thereto.

And what is CFB daily?

17. kidbourbon

I thought the idea was the four best teams?

18. syndicate

It would never happen, but it is better than putting undeserving teams in just because they play in a certain conference.

19. kidbourbon

And there you have it.

20. kidbourbon

How confident are you that Ole Miss or TAMU or LSU would beat BYU? Will that change when BYU runs the table?