UT Run Game

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Volguy1971, Dec 10, 2011.

1. Volguy1971

Volguy1971 Sith Lord

Although it was Army-Navy, I found it very interesting that the teams combined for 594 yards rushing in the game. Tauren Poole had 693 all last season. I sure as hell hope we get the running game rebuilt sooner than later.

2. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

The running game is about commitment. Any novice Pop Warner coach can figure out ways to rush the football, but if you don't make it a priority it won't happen. Johnny Majors decided his strategy to rush the football wouldn't change once Cobb and Webb went down and undersized Tony Thompson became an All-SEC player.

3. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Yep. Attitude.

4. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

More than that. We finished 116th in the nation in rushing offense, a direct cause of us ranking 103rd in total offense and 106th in scoring offense. Everything we do on that side of the ball needs to be reevaluated, and chalking it up to attitude or commitment just distracts from other problems. The scheme sucks, the technique isn't working, and we aren't getting as much out of players as we should.

5. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Don't see why it'll be any better next year.

6. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Exactly. It's going to take a little more than the o-line "deciding" we're going to run to get anything going.

7. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

They need to quit catching and start initiating contact. The OL got punched in the mouth first all year ny the DL. There was absolutely zero violence or agression. There is no such thing as successful passive run blocking.

We need to put a hat on a hat, violently shoot the hands into a strong fit position, and get after the DL's ass. This finesse run blocking crap is to the run game what Dr. Spock was to child rearing. Both lead to the pussification of their respective areas.

8. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Of course the scheme was sorry. They went from being a pro-style offense under center, to a shotgun with Worley, and then packaged everything in the pistol formation when Bray came back from injury. It never had a chance.

Brad Scott made stars out of Brandon Bennett and Duce Staley simply by giving them the ball, and those were terrible football teams. We would run it one time in a series, it would backfire, and they would just quit running it. Dooley said it himself. How many times this year did they just stop running it in the second half, even before the games snowballed? Rush offense is one of the most simple things one can install on that side of the ball, from the backs to the blocking. If you don't quit on it in the course of a game or season it produces.

9. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I have to disagree. We sucked at running the ball and no amount of repetition, commitment, or whatever was going to change that. There is a fundamental problem when Tennessee can't pound it against the schedule's cupcakes.

10. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I am misunderstanding what is going on here. Aren't we all saying the same thing?

11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Possibly. It is late.

12. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

I believe we are in part, but the distinction is important. The run game sucked. Blaming it on attitude or dedication to it masks what may be the real problems.

If my numbers are correct, Tennessee rushed 392 times this year and threw 400. The rushing number includes 14 sacks and a couple of kneel downs, but that is far from abandoning the run. We had more rush attemps than passes against Montana, Buffalo, LSU, Bama, MTSU, and Arkansas.

Our run game sucked because we weren't doing it right, not because we weren't doing it enough. The problem is far deeper than attitude of players or coaches.

13. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Yes, it was terrible because we couldn't block and the running backs weren't the stature of previous Vol backers. I totally agree.

Just a few other numbers. Look at LSU or Alabama... the rush to pass ratio on those teams was far greater. Now, they were up in a lot of those games. But still, any team seeking balance is really looking for a 60 to 40 rush to pass ratio. We -- by your numbers -- were close to 50/50. I never used the word attitude and determination. What I mean by commitment is a conscious decision by the coaching staff to prioritize the run game as vital to winning. I think about this a lot when Clawson decided to throw it 41 times with Crompton when the Vols avg. almost 6 yards a carry that day with two guys that start on NFL teams. I guess that is what I am getting at.