GPS navigators for the car. Anyone here know much about them?

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by SavageOrangeJug, Dec 10, 2011.

1. I can find anywhere with a map if not dead reckoning, and would have no use if you gave me one.

The gf can get lost backing out of the driveway. While living in Germany she once wound up at the Czech Republic border having no clue where she got off track.

What is a good automobile GPS system? Preferably an accurate one that is easy to use and won't break the bank.

2. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

Did you have to get the EM-50 to find your GF?

3. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

aaaaaarmy training, sir!!!!!!!

4. I wasn't with her then. Not even sure GPS wil help her. She is notorious for getting lost.

5. Volguy1971

Volguy1971 Sith Lord

If you have one of the android phones, google navigation is on the phone and is free.

6. JayVols

This. Or you could point out to her that the sun rises in the east and sets in the west. The rest is gravy.

I really do understand your predicament. I have an internal GPS built in my body, but my wife couldn't tell you what direction she is going when driving straight into the setting sun. I can't understand that level of directional disorientation.

7. Does it work well?

Nope! No smart phone.

It is worse than that.

This is an intelligent woman, until she gets behind the wheel to find a destination. Then she turns into a box of rocks. She can honestly get lost in her own neighborhood.

She was to meet me and follow me to a residence.

Me: "From where you are, go straight until after you go through the tunnels. I'll be at the store on the corner first road to the right. Go straight, make no turns." I emphasized the no turns, because I knew. I just knew.

Me: "Where are you? You should have been here 15 minutes ago."

Her: "I don't know...the sign says Glenwood Dr."

Me: "WTF? You are 5 miles in the wrong direction. You had to make a turn. You turned left at Dodds Ave, didn't you?"

Her: "Yes, I turned left at the light."

Me (more than a little annoyed): "WHY? I told you go straight, no turns. I emphasized no turns. Why in Hell's name did you turn."

...and then came an answer she has yet to live down.

Her "but it was raining."

WTF?? I could not believe she said that.

I now tell her... "and I don't give a damn what the weather does, it doesn't change the directions."

8. Thank you for the input. She is seriously crippled out on the road.

9. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Make sure whichever one you get that you stay on top of the updates. New roads and interchanges will throw her all to hell. I have a Garmin I use for work. No problems.

10. JayVols

Wow. Condolences dude.

11. She is actually an intelligent person until she cranks the car. I think she puts her brain in the trunk or something.

12. JayVols

That's probably why there have been no majorly successful women race car drivers. They'd get lost on an oval.....

13. Mine could if it was raining.

14. JayVols

I think she would be safe. No major racing circuit races on ovals when raining. They race on road course in the rain, and those involve turns. She'd be screwed then.

15. Volguy1971

Volguy1971 Sith Lord

Sounds like she's been to the Archie Campbell clinic.

Patient: it hurts when I do this doc
    Dr. Campbell: well, don't do that
    Patient: good advice, but I am doing it anyway.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

nuvii is always rated the best by consumer reports. my dad has it and loves it. my android navigation is fine for ever once in a while use (mostly use it on vacation), but it's not as good.

17. That seems to be a popular choice from everywhere I ask. Thanks.

18. volinbham

volinbham Member

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

Garmin is a fine brand and product. The creator also got an engineering degree from Tennessee and is still a major donor to academic programs on campus. Just something to think about.

20. Thank you very much. That looks like something that could be the ticket.

That is something to think about. I'm a firm believer in 'support those that support you or yours'. Thank you for the info.