Obamacare Mandate Kicking Insurance Agents To The Curb

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by SavageOrangeJug, Dec 12, 2011.

1. It is only another 100,000 jobs.

Obamacare Mandate Kicking Insurance Agents To The Curb - Yahoo! News

2. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

I'm at a loss. I have no idea what this means.

3. Obamacare mandates how a large percentage premium dollars must be spent.

Commisions and salaries are being cut to make sure companies can meet the required percentages laid out under Obamacare.

4. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Yea, that I think I managed to elicit. Except for maybe how premiums and commissions are having to be cut to meet those numbers.

Seems to me, and I have absolutely zero knowledge of insurance, insurance sales, or the like, but it seems like if you are required to spend $0.80/0.85 on every dollar on health care... that that shouldn't affect commissions or salaries, unless people are using their insurance more than normal.

Meaning, if I have a $1,000/yr policy, and seek medical care worth $800, then the amount has been met. If I have a $1,000/yr policy, and spend $150, then that difference to make it to $800/$850 can be used by someone who spends $1650 on medical services.

It still leaves 15%-20% for salaries and commissions. Are people simply using their insurance more this year, or ... what is different this year that is driving up to the MLR vs a couple years ago when there wasn't an 80% MLR?

5. On top of commissions I'm sure you have, administrative costs, legal costs (huge I'm sure), fraud, etc. That probably just scratches the surface.

6. I wonder if anyone here has a current insurance license?

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

I want to argue, but I just don't know much about insurance or Obamacare.

8. Do you understand 100,000 jobs going away?

9. You run right behind me trying to start bullshit every post I make, and I'm the one that wants to argue?