Site Negativity

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

If this site is too "negative" for you, and you don't enjoy being here, there are two easy options, and which are readily available to everyone:

1. Point out the flawed logic / reasoning of the negativity, so as to correct and prevent it, or

2. Leave.

Seriously, it is a gigantically big interwebz. There are many, many Vols-centric sites which you should try, and may be more to your liking.

Why anyone would remain here, or anywhere, and not enjoy it, is beyond me. Life's too short, the interwebz is too big.

2. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

We'll all be much better next year.

3. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Fine. Im takin my ball with me.

4. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

You ever looked inside a woman's purse?????

You'll never find it.

5. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

:clap:

6. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

speaking freely, it does get like a bunch of grumpy old men at times. it's not that it's totally off base most of the time (although on occasion I do think it goes off the tracks) it's just that sometimes the belaboring of points and beating of dead horses gets tiresome. Just my .02. It's still infinitely better than the other place

7. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Thanks for this JQQ. Sincerely, and personally, thanks.

For an accusation to be as oft-cited as this one - that this site is too "negative" - the statement is so nebulous, as to prevent either challenge / support or discussion.

I greatly appreciate that you have offered your definitive thoughts on "what" that is, and would encourage anyone else to do the same.

I'd genuinely like to understand and discuss it.

8. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Anyone that doesn't agree 125% with me, is probably a grumpy old man.

9. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

[​IMG]

10. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

The site is whatever the people that post here make it to be.

1) This is a better message board than the others -- if I even go to put Volnation in my browser my computer is directed to self-destruct. 2) Not living in Tennessee anymore it is a nice place to connect with other Vol fans, and talk Vols, because, well, I can't really do that where I live.

But since I have pointed out negativity before, here's a more direct answer: Your question assumes that negativity can be argued, and it really can't. It is a culture, or mood of the place. No amount of reasoning can change how people feel about something, at least I don't think so. For example: It can be argued that Cuonzo Martin was a bad basketball coach, and I might disagree. I don't think that's negativity, just two people disagreeing. It's another thing to hope Tennessee loses in the tournament so he doesn't return as coach. That's sort of bizarre to me, and something I can't quite square away. This is one example, but there have been others that make me cringe when I read them.

I think also I'm not really a negative person, certainly not angry, and above all not cynical. And those personality qualities are very present on this board, especially at a period in UT sports that has been particularly bad. Can we change that? No. Should we change that? No. Would it be a place I would like better if that changed? Maybe not. So the long and short of it is -- this is the place we made it to be, good or bad.

11. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

I think what is construed as negativity is mostly just the truth. I do agree with JQK, God that makes me sick to type, in that sometimes the proverbial horse is slaughtered after all blood has been emptied. However, when you see the same stuff week to week, day to day, within a program we're all passionate about; then it's rather easy to continue the conversation. I can't recall a single time that any of the perceived "negativity" was ever baseless and just abject oldman-ness.

You have to look no further than Huffman to see that at times he is considered the gent who would fire every coach after each play all while chain smoking 36 camels. With that said, he's never to my knowledge not had some sort of logical reason as to why he feels the way he does. In fact, he usually has some strong points as to why he feels the way he does.

What do I know, though? I'm one of the negative ones, I'm sure.

12. JayVols

If someone is hitting me about the head with something, I'm not going to stop leveling my complaints....until I'm knocked unconscious and/or they stop hitting me.

As long as we continue to do some of the things we do, I'm not going to quit [itch bay]ing about it.

13. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Very good point.

I also might add that I put you in the same esteem as randybroyles. You two potentially have the best compass as to what is too much and what is fine. When I see you or randy comment that we may be off on our ideas of what is going on, I legitimately take a step back and think "maybe I did take that a tad too far."

Never met you, but you can bet your ass there is no greater compliment I can give a man than to compare him to Broyles.

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The 2008 season and [ddiapos] made me cynical. I'm kidding, kind of. I am angry at losing. I am angry that Tennessee's administration is screwed up, but there's not much I can do about it.

I never understood the Cuonzo hate. He was a coach that probably should never have been hired here, who certainly built up guys into solid citizens and students and who was underwhelming as a coach. He never did anything to embarrass Tennessee. He just wasn't a good fit here.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
  15. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

I like to think I'm a bright ray of sunshine. I just have nothing to offer. I don't break down plays. I watch football.

My goal this year was to just watch football. So far, I've been doing OK.

But, I said long ago, if Butch isn't willing to sacrifice some of his buddies, he will fail. I believe that. I don't believe it to be negative. I'm not sure he is a great coach, but I think he can be a good enough leader, if he can get away from the old boys club, and bring in fresh talent on the coaching side.

Coaching is a lot like recruiting. If you have better athletes you will win. If you have better coaches, you will win. Trying to find the right athlete for the right coach is painfully difficult, and a long and tedious process. The right athlete doesn't always come along. Recruiting battles are lost, and sometimes, the right athlete just isn't ready.

So when I see something that resembles "needing the right athletes to make the system work," I think to myself, "get a new system."

16. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

I worry that people miss this.

17. JayVols

Even though you may not realize it, you are very respected here. I understand that it can get frustrating, but it's the same on both sides of that fence. I'm frustrated that we've sucked for nearly a decade. I'm frustrated that the UT Admin is a dumpster fire. I'm frustrated that we make stupid coaching decisions in what is supposed to be the best staff in America. There are things to be hopeful about, and I think those are recognized and acknowledged when necessary/appropriate. I'm not one to keep anything bottled up inside. It eats at me and is not healthy. I am the same IRL. I will tell you what I think good, bad, or indifferent though I try not to be an ass about that. Venting frustrations here is an outlet for me. Try to see it as nothing more.

18. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

Are you serious? Like for real? You routinely tell other posters to kill themselves.

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I do not, but it's easy to get you excited or pissed off. It's fun to watch.

20. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I appreciate the kind words NYY, but I am no RB... heck, I've only kissed 4 women in my entire life!