Michael Savage offers Newt Gingrich $1 million to drop out

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by SavageOrangeJug, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Serious offer, or publicity stunt by Savage?

Talk-show host offers Newt Gingrich $1 million to drop out

2. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

The first thing Savage has said or done I probably agree with.

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

savage has $1 mil? if i was newt. i'd take it.

4. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I must say, the sudden backlash at Newt by the GOP/conservative talking heads and radio guys caught me by surprise. I hardly ever listen to them, so it may have been building, but the last 48 hours have been a bit overboard IMO.

5. golfballs03

golfballs03 New Member

I'd like to know where this Newt support is coming from? Tea party? GOP establishment?

6. CardinalVol

As do I. I like several of his points, he's brilliant, good on stage, etc.

Plus, as much as Paul makes some good points, he comes across as a crazy uncle you aren't quite comfortable around at Christmas and I just don't know what you will get with Romney.

Finally, I also think Gingrich knows how to get stuff done inside the beltway, which can never be overlooked.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  7. golfballs03

golfballs03 New Member

He's extremely smart. But I think George Will was correct in his analysis of him... He thinks he's always the smartest guy in the room, and it's gotten him in trouble in the past. In the oval office, he could get himself into real trouble by thinking that way

I also have a problem with some of the stances he's taken. He was opposed to Paul Ryan's budget plan, he supported individual mandates. And I think his partnership with Pelosi on the global warming issue was a little out there.

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i like his politics, but i don't believe he can win a general election. romney or bust. bleh

9. golfballs03

golfballs03 New Member

aside from his politics, i agree with this.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

A thrice divorced Catholic doesn't seem like a strong Republican nominee.

I find it hilarious that he used to support climate change action before some of the bigger organized research and findings came in, and then switched to thinking it is "an elaborate hoax" when there were actual global linkages found. It just tells me he is just nothing but a parrot of whatever he thinks is the expedient position to hold.

11. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Newt may be one of the most toxic people ever to reside in Washington DC. You are right that Newt is the anti-Obama in this respect, but putting him into office is like putting in a much less sophisticated, much less polished, way more polarizing Nixon. Let's get past the fact that Newt will have a difficult time in the general election. There will be considerable buyer's remorse if he is ever President. To quote Charlie Daniels: "Watch him folks cause he's a thoroughly dangerous man."

12. golfballs03

golfballs03 New Member

So are most politicians, I think Obama and Romney are both like this.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

romney is EXACTLY like that.

14. CardinalVol

Watergate aside, Nixon was a very good President IMO.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

Nixon would have been called a liberal commie today.

16. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I totally agree with you. The problem is Newt possesses all of Nixon's bad qualities -- arrogance, insecurity -- without any of the good qualities -- judiciousness and truly being the "smartest guy in the room". Nixon was exceptionally gifted and surrounded himself by similarly gifted people -- Kissinger, Milton Friedman, George Schultz, and so on. I don't know if Newt could -- or would want -- to do that.

17. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Nixon was a Keynesian who supported affirmative action and the EPA. But he also really hated commies, as lefties in Chile, Cambodia, Vietnam and Argentina can attest.

18. My step-dad after Nixon resigned over Watergate. "One of these years this country will realize just how good a President he was."

19. Newt could have been president, but he destroyed himself with his personal actions.

Think of him as the Republican version of Ted Kennedy.

I would vote for Newt, and think he is qualified. I just don't think the mainstream voter will overlook his past.

20. golfballs03

golfballs03 New Member

With how he's polling right now it looks like they might. At least in the primary - and mostly because everyone else sucks so bad.