I hate this one game wild card... ('14 playoff thread)

Discussion in 'Sports' started by NYY, Oct 1, 2014.

1. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

But holy hell what a great game and atmosphere last night. Congrats to the fans of Kansas City. Waited a very long time to get a taste of the postseason.

2. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Oh and go to hell, Billy Beane.

3. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

I hate the 1 game wildcard. Might as well just flip a coin.

4. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Raise your hand if you are shocked Oakland managed to blow a 7-3 lead in the 8th. Anyone? Anyone?

5. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Computer must have crashed and couldn't get it rebooted in time.

6. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I hate it when my team is in it but it's good theatre when you're not emotionally attached. I also got a boner seeing a team steal 7 bases in a game.

7. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

I agree. It's good for viewership so it's here to stay.

8. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Also can't help but think Oakland shook up too much when they made those deadline deals. Easy to say now in hindsight.

9. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

The Royals advanced scouts should all be getting a substantial raise today.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

The one game wildcard is the only interesting game to me. MLB has too many games.

11. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

And that's why I do in fact somewhat appreciate what they've done. It gets people to watch that ordinarily never will.

But it's also a horrible way to decide a team into the playoffs after a 162 game schedule.

12. CardinalVol

I wish they would just go to 6 teams with two best of three series played at the higher seed for wild card. I hate the one game. If you want to knock 6 to 8 games off the schedule to make it work, have at it.

13. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Billy Beane's clubs are 0-7 in deciding games.

May be time to download some more software, Billy.

14. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

I like that.

15. CardinalVol

To get totally radical, I wish they'd do away with divisions too. Two 15 team leagues, top 6 get in. Top two get byes.

I actually mapped the whole thing out in my head once of how it would work.

16. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

The purists won't go for that. Ever.

But it could make the playoff product much, much better.

17. CardinalVol

Balanced schedule in league, 10 games against everyone, 140 games. 16 inter-league games. 4 against your "rival" and 3 game sets with the other 4 on a rotation basis.

18. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

I thought it was great ... stayed up way too late watching. Salvador Perez damn near cost them the game about 10 times.

19. CardinalVol

Feel the need to comment because this is so good.

I'm all about advanced stats and such to a degree, especially in building a team and roster on a budget. But there comes a point where you just have to use the eyeball and common sense tests for who goes out there.

20. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

When you have guys in your system that can legitimately look at a pitcher and tell you within a MPH how fast each pitch is, or break down a hitter on pitches he doesn't even make contact on; there's no need in relying on any other concoction.