For IP, Gator Hunting

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by kmf600, Oct 4, 2014.

Tags:
  1. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

My first thread!

Here are a couple of gator pictures.

[​IMG]

edit, I blew it. I'm working on it

Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
  2. MWR

MWR Contributor

Looks like you wiped them out real good.

3. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

Made me think of Lawgator

Just need Ho in the background with a golf club in one hand and a beer in the other.

[​IMG]

4. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

5. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

[​IMG]

When planking was a thing, some girl at the dock wanted to do it for her facebook page

6. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

7. snoball5278

snoball5278 Contributor

8. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

We usually "stock" the gators. We were in Lake Okeechobee, where our tags were issued, so we are in my buddy's boat with heavy fishing tackle. We use a weighted snatch hook and cast over the gator's back and snag them on their back. What an amazing fight. They are not happy to be hooked. the fight normally lasts about 30-45 minutes, when we get it close to the boat, we put a harpoon with a bouy attached into their skin so we don't lose it. After the gator gets tired, we hit it in the back of the head with a .357 mag bang stick. You tape it's mouth shut, sever it's spine with a chisel, and pull it in the boat.

Our first one was about seven feet, perfect for popping our cherry, our biggest was 11 feet 6 inches, a nasty bastard. The 11 footer fought us more than 2 hours, we put 3 snatch hooks in him, and he straightened 2 of them, we put two harpoons and he pulled one. We hit him with 5 shots with the bang stick and he was still kicking. It took a half hour for two of us to get him in the boat. We never weighed him, but had to be over 300 pounds. He was moving the whole 30 minute boat ride to the dock and he too up most of the empty space on the boat.

I haven't won a drawing for tags since 2011, it's been pretty popular lately. I miss it every year.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

Wow, sounds exactly like halibut fishing right up until you tape its mouth closed. Pretty cool.

10. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

My trip we had guides pull them up with the line and we had to shoot their tiny brains with a 45. The cleaned skulls have several holes each.

Went with a delta force sniper. His have one hole.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

Haha, that's funny.

How many tags a year for the state total? Anyone know?

12. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Our guide was a local sheriff in our Parrish. We had about 25. Our group of 5 killed 17. One 12.5 footer in a boyou that hadn't been hunted in a decade. We killed 4 over 11.5 feet. The big daddy was the largest killed in LA in 12.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

Looks like LA puts a lot of thought into tag numbers. They divide the state up into divisions, with tag numbers released for each specific area:

[​IMG]

That's pretty good management.