In Defense of Butch Jones

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Tenacious D, Oct 6, 2014.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I'm sure that few of you have taken the time to review his post-game comments.

Let's remedy that, first:

[youtube]IOkuttaDvvM[/youtube]

Secondly, this doesn't sound to me like someone who is excuse-making, who has supplanted reality with bubblegum cliche's, is throwing his players and team under the bus, or who somehow doesn't understand or fail to share our disappointment with this team's having failed to take a significant step forward, by losing this game.

We've got 22 TRUE FRESHMEN either starting or playing significant time, and as Jones accurately points out, this includes the entire right side of our line.

Wil Muschamp is not long for Florida, and is almost certainly one small evolutionary step above a Neanderthal - but he's also one of the best defensive minds in the game, bar none.

I've got plenty of other things in his defense, but we can kick it off here, if you like.

Come at me, you darlings of naïveté, you prince's of irrational thought.

Let's dance.

2. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

Since our RG and RT are true freshman with little experience thus far, why would you not help them out on obvious passing downs with a TE or RB? Why make that the weak-side and let Fowler continue to make plays?

3. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

No matter how young we are, he and his offensive coordinator--(who I will never use his name ever again) fail to ever set our offense up to succeed. He's a sorry excuse for an in-game coach.

He lost to [ddiapos]. He has no defense.

4. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

He has a decent defense.

The offense is terrible and that falls on his feet and the other dudes feet thats in charge of it.

5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Bricks. Process. More bricks.

6. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

His comments at the end of his press conference were nothing more than an attempt head off the shit storm he and the best staff in America created. The guy is more full of shit than the Ganges River.

And there's not one damn bright thing about sitting in a cover 2 or 2 man all day. Our offensive staff is either too stubborn or too stupid to attack the middle of the field against that. No blocking? Move the ****ing pocket instead of having your QB stand there like a statue. I'm not getting into the shit show of a running game we attempt. There is no defense for the Stuart Smalley of college football known as Lyle "Butch" Jones.

7. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

They did rollout Worley once against UF which resulted in an interception in the endzone.

8. JayVols

You forgot "stay the course" "we feel your pain" "Vol Olympics" yada yada yada.

9. JayVols

After the turnover?

10. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

Yes, in the redzone.

11. Low Country Vol

Low Country Vol Contributor

I blame Jones in two areas:
    1) Jones missed out on recruiting a quarterback this past year.
    2)Jones convinced Dobbs to decommit last minute from ASU and is nothing short of a bust. He is stuck with Worley as he waited late summer to give his senior 1st team.
    I am interpreting Jones "we will win when my guy is under center." How many chances will he get his QB?

12. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I heard a guy on Basilio's post game show say that you wouldn't believe some of the interceptions worley throws in practice when he attempts throws on the move.

13. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

They rolled him out more than once. And it was horrible. Our options to pass to become much more limited because he's looking sideline and his accuracy blows.

14. TennTradition

We attacked the middle against UGA some, because I think the staff felt we had to to win. However I think they saw UF as anemic enough offensively that we could limit the risk and still win. They were wrong.

15. tripper

tripper Member

Moving the pocket and rolling him out are not necessarily the same thing.

16. JayVols

I can't find a video, but back peddling and throwing off your back foot is not moving the pocket.

17. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Unfortunately the middle is the least risk with Worley's arm strength. It was also the best option against the Orangutan's offense. Which makes the play calling is God awful and limits any excuses that Butch may try to use. They shit the bed. Plain and simple.

18. TennTradition

But I think it's worth noting they weren't wrong by much. They had to hit a 49 trader to win it and we were in excellent position at the end to come down and kick for the win.

They respected UF's D much more than UGA's and vice-versa on offense. They thought the only way we lose is by turning it over. In the end, they were right about that.

19. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

He certainly didn't make any excuses. I'll give him credit for that.

20. JayVols

Exactly.