Reloading

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by fl0at_, Dec 11, 2011.

Tags:
  1. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Who does it?

What is your setup, what was your startup cost and why do you do it? Paper punching, save money, or do you have a firearm that runs hand loads better?

2. fl0at_

I've thought about it for years and years, usually about the time I want to do some shooting, and then can't find .40, 9mm or .223 ammo to save my life.

All I would reload would be handgun ammo, anyway.

3. VOLFREAK11

VOLFREAK11 New Member

My grandfather had the whole setup and used to reload shotgun shells and stuff for fun. When he passed my grandmother just gave all the stuff away, I would have liked to have gotten it to play around too.

4. golfballs03

golfballs03 New Member

only worth it if you shoot a lot

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I don't shoot enough to justify doing it.

I don't have any pistols yet and I can't complain about factory .30-06 or .338 magnum shells.

6. fl0at_

A couple of years ago, when WWBs were about $9.00 a box, and I could find them, I shot almost every week. Now that they are about $16.00 a box and it is hit or miss. But I dropped nearly $150 on ammo the other day, for three shooting trips, and only picked up two boxes of .40.

Since 9mm is about $10 per 100 rounds cheaper than .40, I've been shooting my 9mm more. Which annoys me, because I don't even have a holster for it, and thus don't carry it.

7. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I use to help my grandpa a lot with it. It was the [breasts] to my 10 year old mind. I've thrown the idea of gettting started in it myself.

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I go the Winchester route

9. VOLFREAK11

VOLFREAK11 New Member

Justin I got a buddy out here looking to sell his Ruger bolt action .338 mag for 600 if you or anybody you know is interested

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I'll see if I can find a buyer for it.

11. VOLFREAK11

VOLFREAK11 New Member

Sounds good I'll find out what kind of scope it has.

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Let me know. I have had 2 different Leupolds and 2 Nikons on mine (a Ruger .338). The gun kicks so damn hard it keeps breaking the guts in the scopes.

13. VOLFREAK11

VOLFREAK11 New Member

Its a M77 338 mag Ruger. He said it has a cheap scope, didn't say what kind. Said he'd take 500 for the gun now.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

That may be my problem, I need a cheap scope.

I'll see if I know anyone that's interested in it. Is it a wood or synthetic stock?

15. VOLFREAK11

VOLFREAK11 New Member

You need a cheap scope? Its wood stock.

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Nah, I haven't got enough time to use it.

17. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

That's a little odd. Nikon makes a pretty wide range of quality, but the Leupolds should hold up to .338 recoil. I have a VX-II on my .375 and it does fine.

18. punkcat

punkcat Member

Why are you shooting a .338?

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I believe I've managed to get two lemons from Leuopold. They've been great about replacing them. The gun is way too big for anything around here so it sits anyways.

I will hopefully be taking it bear hunting in east Tennessee next year.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I got it cheap and wanted to use it. I haven't took it hunting in 3 or maybe 4 years.