I'm vehicle shopping and need opinions...

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by lylsmorr, Dec 13, 2011.

1. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Looking to get either a mid-size truck or SUV. My ceiling is probably around 22k. I've also looked at full size trucks, but I don't think I can afford getting a crew cab. I'd also like either AWD or 4WD. Anyone have suggestions of some vehicles I should look at?

2. VOLFREAK11

VOLFREAK11 New Member

You want a used truck? You can get a good looking used Ford F150 for that kind of money. I like how the new Toyota Tundras drive.

3. volinbham

volinbham Member

Trucks (midsize) - Tacoma or Frontier; not much else
    SUVs - lots of choices depending on whether or not you want a truck-framed one or car-framed one. Car frame wise I recommend the Mazda Cx-7. Truck frame probably a 4runner or Pathfinder.

4. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

You can get a new Subaru Forester for $22k base model, or get a 2010 loaded top model. We had a 99 until just last year, bought in 2001, and it was a very dependable vehicle. We bought a 2010 for under $18k. Most bang for the buck.

5. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

How do you like the Forester?

6. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

I recently purchased a 2012 Toyota Tacoma and I have been in love with it. Might be right above your budget, but you might be able to make it work.

7. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

If you want a SUV, I'd recommend about a 07-09 model Explorer. You could probably get a pretty nice one for the 22K.

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

This is good advice. Explorers are cheap and reliable.

I broke down and bought a 2011 F-150 Crew cab this past summer.

9. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I drove an Explorer from 99 until May of this year (two different ones). I love em. Only reason I didn't get another was because my wife got an SUV and we didn't need 2 and I just needed transportation to work and home.

10. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Almost any car comes with a 60,000 mile warranty, a few offer 100,000 and then they all throw in the "lifetime powertrain" at this point. I think all new cars are about the same in the price range you are talking. I would go the best fuel efficiency route if you don't need the horsepower or lots of space. GMC Terrain or the Kia Sportage fit this bill.

11. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

Tacoma or Tundra...Tundra might be bigger than what you're asking for though.

4Runner's are pretty "beastly" (gay volball voice) as well.

12. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

I almost went with the Tundra, but honestly the interior room of the Tacoma with the crew cab feels like a full sized truck. You might also be able to find a 2010 or 11 program car that will fit into your budget, there really isnt a whole lot of difference in cab space between the 12,11, and 10

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I think Toyota trucks are the only ones that never lose worth as they gain miles.

14. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

CJ5, if you're not a [ussy pay]

15. WM

WM Active Member

Had a 93 Toyota 4x4 when i was in college and it was the GOAT. Have a 4runner now. Have no desire to get rid of it anytime soon.

16. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

This was my first toyota.......had always been a ford explorer guy. I will never go back to anything but a toyota

17. ncmedicman

ncmedicman Member

A fella I work with got a helluva deal on a new Tacoma Quad Cab a few months ago. He also was trading in an older Tacoma, so he probably got some "loyalty" factor in the price, but he said that Toyota is/was hurting for sales. The truck he traded in wasn't too old, but had a ton of miles on it and was needing some drivetrain work. I think he wound up financing less than $16,000.

18. volinbham

volinbham Member

I have an 01 xtracab 4x4 2.7l 5spd. 80k miles. It's still worth over $10K and runs like a top.

19. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

I ended up getting mine a month or so ago for just a shade under 25, but it had the TRD Sports package and all the other crap I dont need which is normally at 28,500.

20. alumvol08

alumvol08 Active Member

If you're wanting a midsize SUV and leaning towards the Toyota route, I can recommend the FJ Cruiser. Only downside that I can think of is that it isn't four doors, but instead has two full-size doors and two suicide doors. I've had mine since '07 and it's been a great vehicle so far.