A musical gift to the 8th Maxim

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by rbroyles, Dec 14, 2011.

1. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

This was sent by my good friend Gerald Sheppard, and I am sharing it with you. Note the beautiful tone of his guitar, it was made by Gerald. He is a guitar Luthier in Kingsport, and his are absolute works of art. They start at around $8,000.

[video=youtube_share;vhLMyXOHdWU]http://youtu.be/vhLMyXOHdWU[/video]

volinbham likes this.
  2. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

That's pretty awesome. Thanks rb.

3. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Does he make dulcimers too, RB? If so, I think I own one of his creations.

4. golfballs03

golfballs03 New Member

that was great.

5. Smowkee

Smowkee New Member

Very nice!

6. volinbham

volinbham Member

Awesome. Dude has some interesting thumb joints. Also have never seen a partial capo before - very cool.

7. volinbham

volinbham Member

I don't know this feller but have several of his works. This is in the same vein

[video=youtube;Bvua4unz-JI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bvua4unz-JI[/video]

8. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

First of all, he is very good doing a well known Chet Atkins arrangement, loved the harmonics at the end. It should be pointed out that there was an accompanying part being played through a Boomerang Loop, so someone doesn't think he was playing all those notes. Somewhat different style as he is using a pick and Gerald was finger picking 100%. Not a criticism, he was playing an electric which pretty much requires a pick, while Gerald's is an acoustic. Your guy is very talented.

9. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

I have never seen a partial capo either, it covers four strings.

10. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

I am not aware of him making dulcimers, but I am sure he could. I have two dulcimers, one a cherry made by Bob Mize of Blountville, and a custom made one of walnut and Sitka spruce with a 1-1/2 fret, four equidistant string capability and a built-in pick-up. It was made by High Country Dulcimers in Boone, NC, cost $1200.

11. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I checked out his website and there is no way he made the dulcimer I own. I got mine as a gift and I know it was made in the Tri-Cities. Not sure who made it, but it didn't cost anywhere near what he sells his wares for. I have a couple of guitars though: an Alvarez acoustic, a Yamaha acoustic and a Samick electric. Don't play them as much as I would like.

12. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Could it be a Mize? It would have his name in the top of the neck. If so, it is becoming a collectible since his passing. I know of two other dulcimer makers in the Tri-cities, but damned if I can remember their names.