Christopher Hitchens Passes Away

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by volfanjo, Dec 16, 2011.

1. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

A controversial but serious writer and thinker. I remember he came to UT several years ago to a totally packed house. Some folks I knew who had dinner with him said he was polite, respectful and courteous to the group. It is good to hear those things about folks, even ex-Trotskyists.

2. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

Cancer is just brutal.....RIP

3. supaturk

supaturk Banned

An icon. A legend.

One of the few people in the public sphere up to whom I looked. Unfortunately, I was far too young to meet the man. I like to believe one day I'll make a similar impact within the public sphere.

I wish he had focused more on the geopolitical sphere, but that's water under the bridge.

His excoriations of Agnes Gonxha Bojaxhiu, Jerry Falwell, Henry Kissinger, et al left an indelible impression on me. Not so much the content as the searing style.

The panache. The pretentiousness. He was a badass Anglo.

I tip my morning Coke to him.

4. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

What up Axion? Stay around a little longer if you can.

Hitchens was pretentious no doubt, but I always read what he had to say for another point of view.

5. supaturk

supaturk Banned

Out of my hands, Jo. However, I have submitted an appeal to reason.

6. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

you didn't submit an appeal to reason. You idiotically tried to refute the reasons you were given for people wanting you canned from the site. You're essentially a thesaurus and nothing else, save the soap opera level drama.

7. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

By the way... Word of the Day = Sphere.

8. supaturk

supaturk Banned

BPV, you have no idea about my actual intellect, because the only time you've ever really seen my work is when I've been fighting banishments.

Yet another presumptuous and stupid comment. What the [uck fay] is wrong with you?

9. supaturk

supaturk Banned

BTW,

I could be your governor someday. You better believe I want you to regard me as an "utter douche."

You dislike Lane Kiffin, too. What a failure, that guy.

10. supaturk

supaturk Banned

Approve my posts, JT5.

11. supaturk

supaturk Banned

New York * London * Hong Kong * Shanghai * Singapore * Tokyo * Paris * Melbourne * Bombay

That's how I roll. That's where my business will be located.

The fact you don't show respect for nascent superpowers is appalling, BPV. Wal-Mart suburbs. I almost cracked a rib at that!

12. supaturk

supaturk Banned

Why not show my other posts? Chicken?

13. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

I approved this post because, in a group of nonsense, I thought this one made you look the silliest.

Spamming the board with garbage in an attempt to get owned by your intellectual superior probably isn't a very good idea on a lot of levels, but aside from everything else, it means somebody has to read and approve your stuff lots of times. If you aren't careful, one day, a prescient mod will just decide that it is easier to ban you again.

Just sayin'...

14. supaturk

supaturk Banned

In which case I'll just sign up with a different handle. Duh.

BPV's a smart guy, but he's not smarter than I. And he's made some horrendous mistakes lately.

15. cotton

Is continually coming to a place where you clearly cannot interact with the rest of the members without being an annoying little pissant resulting in inevitable banishment the action of an intelligent person?

16. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Axion you are making it harder on those of us that (sometimes) defend you. Just chill out and post dude.

17. supaturk

supaturk Banned

I could interact just fine if some of the envious would leave me the Hell alone.

I get along extraordinarily well with Hat, IP, Tenny D, Groves, Lex, Jo, et al.

On your and your ilk's end: show me respect, and I'll return the favor.

Has nothing to do with "intelligence." I'm sitting on the couch with nothing to do, so I get on the 8th and rabble rouse with people who don't like me for silly reasons. Big deal.

18. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Hysterical.

19. Snakeonia

Snakeonia Active Member

maybe if ax was somewhat humble instead of trying to show how great he is, then maybe people wouldn't dislike him so much. just saying

20. cotton

You confuse derision with envy.

I don't think I have ilk, or ilk's kind.

You are not deserving of respect.