Eric Russell's Replacement?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by VolDad, Dec 19, 2011.

1. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

What would you think if it were one of these guys?

* Greg Adkins - Syracuse Offensive Line Coach and Recruiting Coordinator

* Tim Brewster – Former University of Minnesota Head Coach

* Tim Salem – UCF Tight Ends Coach & Special Teams Coordinator

2. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Probably kill myself if we hire Adkins, but he and Dooley know each other.

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Brewster would only be here for 2 or 3 seasons but he would be a fantastic hire

4. Does Brewster have ST experience? I know he would bust it on the recruiting trail.

5. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Welcome to the 8th DW12.

As to your question, I think it is imperative to get a good special teams coach, recruiter or not. As much as Brewster intrigues me, you need to go to the NFL and offer some dough to a guy that can really coach that unit. Darrin Simmons with the Bengals has been excellent the time he has been there.

Edit: Brewster coached ST at UNC for several years under Mack Brown.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He was a legit candidate for the hc spot in 08

7. Volguy1971

Volguy1971 Sith Lord

I would think that it will be a bit of smoke and mirrors on the new hire....Most fans were pacified by the hire of VFL Jay Graham, but I am still curious to see who we will grab.

Also, given my hatred for the Suckeyes, could we take up a collection for a moving fan to Hiestand's house?

8. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

Out of those, give me Brewster for the krootin alone.

9. Volguy1971

Volguy1971 Sith Lord

I am a firm believer of ST being a real game changer. Take Va. Tech for example, unbelievable kick blocking skills, decent KR and PR units, and having that ability has taken a pretty good team to being a great team on a yearly basis. A great returner doesn't have to take it to the house every time, and we all know that our former coaching staff was too inept to punt the ball out of bounds, rather than let Brandon James get his hands on the ball and two of the three years he housed it.(3 if you count the phantom flag in 06) If you take one to the house on me, I am coffin corner kicking every punt when you're on the field.

10. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Heard a bit of info today in the ST coach search. Apparently Napier is one of the targets but Dooley is waiting to see if Saban gives him a permanent spot on his staff. I say [uck fay] it, make him an offer. Dooley will help with special teams and Napier will also take TE's. TIFWIW.

11. tripper

tripper Member

Brewster, Brewster and Brewster. Word is he wants to get back to this area. He coached ST under Brown at UNC but also he is a hell of a TEs coach on the collegiate and pro level.

12. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Please, please, please.

13. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

Who ever it is is either in a bowl game or in the NFL. We'll find out when seasons end.

14. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Yep.

STs is what separated LSU and Bama in Nov and may be the difference in the NC game as well.

Gotta get better there.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

I want Brewster.

16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Brewster can do better. Goin gto be hard hire good coaches with the job outlook Dooley has. If Jay Graham weren't a Tennessee guy he probably passes.

17. tripper

tripper Member

I know Brewster was pretty high on Meyer's radar at OSU. Don't know what happened.