Why do people think Peyton Manning would make a good coach?

Discussion in 'VOLuminous' started by MaconVol, Dec 18, 2011.

1. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

I get so damn sick and tired of hearing people say that Peyton Manning will be UT's head coach. People need to lay off the pipe and look at reality.

2. Ron Mexico.

Ron Mexico. New Member

Some people can't separate reality from what they want to happen. For example, all the folks that thought Tennessee was going to win 8-9 games this year.

3. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

this year we seriously will win 10 or 11 games easy.

4. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Manning will make so much damn money working as an analyst it'll be absurd. He'll have his pick of the networks and could name his price. I can't see him turning down that kind of money with a one day work week in favor of the grind of college coaching. He'd also need to put in his time as an assistant first, as well. It just isn't likely to ever happen. No need to mention that there's no guarantee he'd be even a decent coach, let alone one good enough to handle UT.

5. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

I don't think Manning will be the next head coach (or ever will be for that matter) but certainly believe he would be an extremely good coach. Sure, there's no guarantees of anything but his knowledge of the game is second to none.

6. Volguy1971

Volguy1971 Sith Lord

Why risk the chance of tarnishing his near immortal status to take a chance on being a head coach? I see him going the NFL route as an analyst or coach before becoming a college coach.

If he were to become a HC, I could see him looking at his QB the same way the Ol' Ball Coach does his.....something to the effect of "What in the hell were you thinking?"

7. golfballs03

golfballs03 New Member

He could be a good coach. Nobody knows for sure. So don't get so bent out of shape by people daydreaming about it. Waste of time all the way around.

8. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

The other 65% isn't true fans.

9. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Manning has often talked about his desire is to be in more of a front office role than coaching, FWIW.

I see him being a team GM/President one day down the road.

10. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I think many people talk about him coaching because the state of our program at this time. Let's face it, we suck, our coaches suck, and many people (not me) believe that an ideal situation involves having a dyed in the wool Vol as a coach. Manning represents all that is great about The University of Tennessee. He contributed greatly to our rise that culminated in 1998. He didn't win a National Championship, but without Peyton, we more than likely do not have the opportunity to even play for one. Don't forget that he turned down the opportunity to go pro to stay with the Vols. Regardless his motives, that move solidified his legacy with the fanbase. A guy turned down millions, risked it all to return to a place he loved, and was one of the greatest players to ever wear the Orange. He is well respected across the nation, is a great ambassador for the University, and is still supports the program vocally and monetarily.

While no one knows what kind of coach he would be, we all know he is a winner. In trying times, people long for 'the good ole days.' Peyton Manning is the embodiment of those days to many people. Jmo, tifwiw

Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  11. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

Solid post JayVol.

12. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Jay has got it right, I suggest that a large number of those who think PM would be a good HC without doubt also want Fulmer back too.

13. tennesseevolman

tennesseevolman New Member

Well, I dont think that Manning could get the work ethic out of a team that he would find necessary. But before I would decide he couldnt coach, I would have to go back and look at people like Jim Harbaugh. Who woulda thunk he could have been such a master at coaching.

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Harbaugh's dad and brother were both successful coaches

15. tennesseevolman

Dooleys dad was a successful coach!

16. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

It seems like most of the time the great players don't make good coaches...they can't understand why the Rex Grossmans and JP Losmans of the world don't see things the way they saw it.

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Vince rode Herschel in to the HOF

18. tennesseevolman

So why cant Dooley find a running back to run 10 yards, let alone the Hall of Fame! Seems that he could have picked up something from his Daddy!

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He's just now hiring a RB coach. That's a start I guess

20. joevol320

joevol320 New Member

i wouldn't want him to be a head coach here. our fans would be even more delusion than many are now. I think he would be a good QB coach, but i don't think he would want to recruit. he wouldn't have any problems recruiting IMO, but it is a lot of work.