The Section 105 Postgame Report.

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by hatvol96, Dec 20, 2011.

1. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

1. The Bearden ROTC did a nice job with the colors. Good to see young people showing patriotism.
    2. The first 15 minutes were undeniably putrid. The only highlight was a Fallon Smith sighting on press row.
    3. Wearing Santa hats in public is the most played out cliche of the holiday season. You know who you are. Stop it.
    4. J.P. Primm is a player. He's the only guy on Asheville's roster who would get SEC minutes. I'm shocked they used him as a decoy at the end of the game.
    5. Trae Golden was pitiful for most of the game. To his credit, he made some essential free throws late.
    6. For the love of God, please stop the annual Christmas routine by the majorettes. It's not entertainment, it's torture.
    7. We saw the best and worst of Renaldo Woolridge in one night. He made shots and was totally lost defensively and handling the ball.
    8. Jordan McRae started Christmas break early. That's his worst performance of the year. Cam Tatum, on the other hand, was huge in the second half. That's what you have to get out of your seniors.
    9. UT's big men did a great job of exploiting their size and strength advantage in the second half. That was ultimately the difference in the game.
    10. At the end of the day, it's a much needed win. Take it and get ready for another challenge Friday night against ETSU.

2. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Can't disagree with any of this. Did you happen to see what changed in the defense after about 25 minutes? We went from allowing them to shoot 60% (and just not even bothering to rotate) to holding them without a FG for ten minutes straight. Were we changing anything schematically, or did people just stop doing dumb things?

3. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

Did Woolridge have 17 points total in his career before tonight? Where the hell did that come from?

Too early to call McRae Hopsonv2.0?

4. hatvol96

I think it was simply that they got more aggressive and physical on the defensive end.

5. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

Also, tonight's loss pushes Biedenbach's record to 222-237 in his 16th year at Asheville. I know it's just UNC-Asheville and all, but who exactly does he have photos of there that he's still the head coach?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  6. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

McRae's attitude is lightyears better than Hopson's. He has a lot of similar issues with his game (tendency to disappear, bad defense, sometimes poor shot selection), but I have a little bit more faith in him doing something about it. And I also think Cuonzo will put up with less bullshit than Bruce did.

7. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

Yeah, I was referring more to the hot and cold stuff on the court more so than overall attitude. McRae disappears, but I don't think he's pouting when he's AWOL.

8. hatvol96

He was the first guy off the bench meeting and encouraging his teammates when they came off the floor when he was out of the game.

9. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

That's good to hear.

10. hatvol96

Did I mention Fallon Smith was there?

11. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Big fan?

12. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

The Big South has been terrible for most of its existence. Other than Gregg Marshall, he is the only coach to win on a consistent basis in that league. He also has a little "mini" coaching tree with some of the guys he has placed over the years.

13. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

I was pretty impressed that the old guy whose name escapes me at the moment calling the game alongside Justus didn't mess up and say Prince whenever he was talking about J.P. Primm. I probably would've done that several times.

14. hatvol96

Look at the nonconference schedule they play every year and you'll have your answer about how he survives his overall record.

15. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

Valid points, hat and jo.

Just not everyday you see a coach hang around a place that long with a losing record.

16. hatvol96

Look over the history of the MEAC and the SWAC. There are plenty of good coaches who have lasted long tenures there despite having their records distorted by playing so many buy games to help fund their entire athletic departments.

17. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

Hat,

Looks like Gary Parrish is saying tonight that it appears its UT and UF for Stokes now since he would not be eligible at Memphis...

Your opinion....Does Martin land his first big time player? I have seen the speculation in the media, but what do you think he can bring to the table for the Vols immediately if he comes here?

18. hatvol96

It's a pure guess, but I think he chooses UT. Can't see Florida being the pick. He'd be UT's best player as soon as he got in uniform.

19. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

Not sure how much you've seen him play, but who would you compare him to?

20. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Or yarbrough 3.0.

Although I don't think he is.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011