Florida offers Hugh Freeze $4.2M

Discussion in 'Sports' started by NorthGaVol, Dec 1, 2014.

1. NorthGaVol

NorthGaVol Vols, Bitch

2. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

When was the last time a coach left an SEC school for another with no break in between. Tuberville?

Edit: Or Houston Nutt?

3. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

Nutt was fired though.

4. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

If the report is true, I don't see how he can say no.

5. RockyHill

I'm not exactly scared of what UF would be like under Freeze.

6. TangoUniform

TangoUniform Contributor

Interesting... seems I read earlier somewhere that jim mcelwain of Colorado st was allegedly leading candidate. But 4.2 to freeze sounds kinda legit... dunno if he'd leave oxford, though..

Edit: pat forde was claiming earlier about mcelwain to florida, fwiw

Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
  7. TangoUniform

TangoUniform Contributor

Me either.

8. TangoUniform

TangoUniform Contributor

Didn't he say oxford was his "dream destination"? Plenty of boosters can match 4.2 ...

9. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

Yes, but Ole Miss has a ceiling and Freeze knows it. Florida is one of the top three jobs in the country, SEC east sucks. Now maybe he isn't an alpha male. Maybe he'd be happy making 4 million a year at ole miss and winning 7-9 games a year.

10. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Does Freeze hire Sandra Bullock as his OL coach? I'm not sure Freeze "gets to know his players" that well. Could be an issue.

11. TangoUniform

TangoUniform Contributor

His life might be easier with florida and being in the east, but still, freeze just isn't a homerun hire ... my 2 cents of course..

12. NorthGaVol

NorthGaVol Vols, Bitch

I really like how this UF coaching search is shaping up. Freeze nor Jim McElwain at Florida would scare me.

I was afraid Foley was going to swing for the fences and hit a grand slam. Doesn't seem to be the case.

13. NorthGaVol

NorthGaVol Vols, Bitch

Agreed. He doesn't seem like a great game day coach and I don't think he's a better recruiter than Muschamp (when he had job security).

14. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

Whoa, I'm not saying I'd hire him if I was Foley, I wouldn't. Just saying I don't see how Freeze can turn down an offer like that.

15. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I just don't think coaching searches are that easy these days. Throwing money or prestige of the job just doesn't cut it when you are already in the big dog conference anyway.

I am sure I am wrong about this but nobody outside of Alabama has hit the proverbial homerun.

16. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

Dont know if you want to count Meyer to OSU since he wasn't coaching at the time. Chris Petersen to UDub was a pretty big deal.

17. RockyHill

Well if you measure each hire against Nick Saban's run it's likely you'll never see that home run.

Edit: now I'm not sure whether or not you meant how the hire was viewed initially.

18. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I think Florida had the bad luck to need a new coach in a bad hiring environment. It reminds me of my Milwaukee Bucks winning the draft lottery a few years ago and then realizing that Andrew Bogut was the best player available.

19. TangoUniform

TangoUniform Contributor

This.

20. TangoUniform

TangoUniform Contributor

Understood, and you may be right.. it's an interesting position for him to be in. Ole miss comes up with 4, and the decision is stay at your so-called dream town in the toughest side of the toughest conference in america, or flip to the east to a team whose talent is kinda plug-n-play where you're battling the best coaching staff in america...