Presidential Race The Immigration Issue

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Jewbaccah, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Jewbaccah

Jewbaccah New Member

I have found in this election this issue is polarizing me more then any other. I do not think I have ever found it a reason to vote for a president or not in the past. It made me adamantly against Cain before his scandals. And Romney is rubbing me the same way. I am even considering voting for Obama should Romney be nominated. If you are unaware Romney has stated he is for national ID cards and hunting down illegals in our neighborhoods.

I cannot abide with this even if he is not serious and is appealing to the reds in the GOP. It is something I would expect to hear from Adolf Hitler or Mussolini. Yet when I bring it up with friends they are like eh it will never happen and we just need to get Obama out like it is not a big deal. I want Obama out but I will vote for Obama all day facing a candidate with this kind of policy. Am I the only one this touches such a nerve with? I mean Romney is now running Ads showing off his immigration policies like they are positives. Again he has stated he wants National ID cards over and over....He is using it in his speeches daily right now.

2. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Immigration is a red herring issue every year. If the federal government enforces immigration policies as they currently stand there wouldn't be an immigration problem. But they don't have the will-power or the man-power which is why states have started to take it on.

Additionally, the minute Mexico and Central America have economies capable of sustaining themselves is the minute illegal immigration ceases. Otherwise we're fighting a losing battle.

3. Jewbaccah

Jewbaccah New Member

I understand all of this Volfanjo...but that is not my point. The point is a presidential candidate wants to institute a program by which we need bar coded national id cards. If we do not have them on us we can be picked up for deportation. You sound just like my friends they are like "whatev" immigration is not going to change for the reasons you stated...dudes he has been putting this forth as his plan for over 5 years now. I think he is serious. Even if not...I cannot vote for a guy who even promote such a program as a good idea.

4. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Quite frankly, at this moment in time I am less worried about the illegals here and much more concerned with with the drug cartels that are about to become an even bigger problem for border state and possibly the rest of us in the very near future.

Agree with jo that if we actually did what was on the books now that we'd be fine. But let's face it, Hispanics are the fastest growing voting block in the country and neither party is going to do anything to anger them. You tackle illegal immigration head one and someone is losing that block.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Laugh all you want, but Mexico could be self-sustaining in less than a year if the corruption were cleaned up and crime syndicates suppressed. It is a slumbering economic power.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

And I do agree that the border violence has become more of an issue and threat than immigration itself. And I also agree that the current laws would be sufficient if properly enforced. I do think at a certain point we need to quit trying to put a genie back in the bottle with immigration, and find a way to to make it work for us again.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Yes. I can't argue with you on either point. I was saying that IF that changed, etc.

8. CardinalVol

13th largest economy in the world.

Right now the cartels have more power in northern Mexico than the government does. This is an issue I hope that at some point we decide to be proactive on.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

Would make more sense intervening there than a lot of places in the Middle East. We would need the Mexican government to want us there, though.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Legalization should happen regardless. With states like California and Colorado now having legal dispensaries and suppliers, a national policy shift would be that much easier and rapid.

11. Jewbaccah

Jewbaccah New Member

Mexicans have a lot of pride. I am not sure how it would ever be OK to put our troops on the ground there. Legalizing mary jane might be the easier route. I am just throwing out ideas. I do agree fixing Mexico is the solution. They need to police their southern border as well. QP and IP do you guys have an opinion on the national ID issue. I honestly feel like I am on an island for caring about it. All my friends seem to think it is not a big deal. It scares the shit out of me.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  12. Jewbaccah

Jewbaccah New Member

I just read QP's post I guess we were thinking the same thing on the pot issue.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm completely against a national ID. Legally requiring citizens to carry around a specific object sounds like an infringement of rights to me. Also, why the first name use? Just a slip?

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  14. Jewbaccah

Jewbaccah New Member

oh dude so sorry...yeah editing

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

No big deal at all.

16. CardinalVol

Who said anything about propping up a regime? I'm for saying either take care of this problem or we'll take of it ourselves, especially if it starts spilling stateside more.

As for the ID, I'm not a fan. Too 1984 and mark of the beast for my Baptist roots.

17. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Lol. Southern? First? Free Will?

18. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

Why not just require a driver's license to be shown when a person votes?

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

Not religious and don't think Revelation is even properly read in the mainstream, but there is definitely a legitimate "mark of the beast" sort of scenario that I worry about in regards to a national ID.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

driver's/license or other photo ID. Not everyone has a driver's license because not everyone drives. But every state will give any resident a state photo ID.