Kudos to Cuonzo!

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by LawVol13, Dec 22, 2011.

1. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I don't know how successful he will ultimately be, but this is an absolutely epic pickup. It should be noted that a couple class of 2013 Memphis standouts were there at the announcement.

2. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

If he can manage to snag a good recruit from Memphis every year or two, it would be a very good thing

3. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Stokes enjoying his time in knoxville can only be a great thing to develop some type of pipeline to there.

4. alumvol08

alumvol08 Active Member

Huge get. Hopefully it'll help Martin get his foot in the door more in Memphis.

5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Semi related note - memphis looks awful tonight.

6. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Definitely an epic pickup, unfortunately, I think the Memphis recruits are few and far between for us. Rob Lewis mentioned in his notes how very acute Stokes was to the blowback he'll get from the locals for leaving Memphis. Memphis people are very keen to note how guys who don't play for the Tigers are not welcomed in the city and the "anybody but Tennessee" pressure tops off most any chance we have to procure commitments from Memphis. After taking in a UT-Memphis game, I can tell you I truly think they hate us more than any other group of fans hates us. It's just an odd and very insular city, which makes it exceptionally difficult to get kids across the state. I don't know why Pearl put so much effort in the place when we have Atlanta just sitting there and half of that city being transplants.

7. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

They really do despise UT. Before the big #1 vs #2 clash a Memphian was asking me my thoughts on the game. He was shocked I'd be pulling for UT. He couldn't comprehend it. To him it was like pulling for Mr. T in Rocky III. He didn't care that I wasn't a Memphis fan, but pulling UT is inconceivable.

8. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

I let all of Boston know when the announcement came out. Vols, [itch bay] is now in their vocabulary.

9. Unimane

My wife is Peruvian and knew nothing about Tennessee before I brought her here. I took her to Memphis for the day and she wanted to leave, completely weirded out by the place (She likes Knoxville and Nashville).

10. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

You ever read about the Shining Path in Peru? That stuff was crazy.

11. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I get what you're saying. However, getting the best prospect in the city away from Memphis will get the attention of other recruits who know Stokes. I'm not saying we're going to take over Memphis, but this definitely gives us a slight opening, in my opinion. People may dislike Tennessee, but these players and their parents may start to like Cuonzo Martin, and that can change things.

12. Unimane

I hope so. I just wonder how much bullshit we'll have to deal with in that cesspool and whether it's worth it. Memphis is a shady place for hoops and those kids grow up worshiping the Tigers. If Martin can reverse this, kudos to him.

13. Unimane

Oh yeah, tons of stuff. Those guys were nuts. The movie The Dancer Upstairs was based off the capture of Abimael Guzman. I'd love to visit Ayacucho deep in the Andes, where the Sendero Luminoso did most of their damage and most gringos don't want to visit.

14. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

That guy was truckloads of crazy... smart, but crazy.

15. Unimane

Maoist revolutionaries typically are.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

Peruvian women can be pretty hot-- but short as pancakes.

17. Unimane

Ha, so true! My wife is 4-10.

18. San Diego Vol

San Diego Vol New Member

Huge pick up for Martin. Go Vols

19. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

flat top?

20. Unimane

No, more like hot cake with the fiery personality.