The Section 105 Postgame Report.

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by hatvol96, Dec 23, 2011.

1. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

1. UT got off to another dismal start tonight. They almost buried themselves in the first five minutes.
    2. Beavis Wogan was in the the Channel 6 slot on press row. No Fallon Smith makes for a less than stellar evening.
    3. There's no excuse for being beaten on the boards by a middling Atlantic Sun team. Kenny Hall and Jeronne Maymon have to dominate that level of opponent.
    4. The Mike Tomlin doppleganger with the microphone has to go. This is D-I not And 1.
    5. Cameron Tatum has now put together back to back big games. UT desperately needs that out of him every night.
    6. That was Skylar McBee's best game in a Tennessee uniform. Without him, the Vols would have been dead in the water early in the second half.
    7. Jordan McRae desrves a great deal of credit for coming into the game essentially cold and hitting two big free throws. He has matured immensely in his time at Tennessee. Now, he simply plays hard when he gets the opportunity. The sulking is a thing of the past.
    8. This team just doesn't handle the ball competently. They don't pass, catch, or dribble it at a level that allows for any offensive continuity. That's why they almost lost a game shooting over 50% against a mediocre A-Sun team.
    9. Trae Golden showed flashes of returning to his early season form. He was much more aggressive and confident in the last 10 minutes. Let's hope that's a preview of things to come.
    10. UT is a step closer to getting back to break even. That's the only storyline that really matters. It's been a good week for the program. Two wins and the addition of Jarnell Stokes constitutes building momentum. Merry Christmas.

2. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Can't argue with any of that. Any idea why we kept tipping rebounds outside (right to ETSU players)? Is it systematic in some way, or just butterfingers? This isn't the first time this has happened.

3. hatvol96

I think it's just poor fundamentals in game situations. You simply have to go after the ball with two hands at the D-I level.

4. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Kenny Hall's dunk and subsequent steal were the plays of the game. Making those free throws down the stretch were hopefully momentum builders for McCrae and Golden.

5. alumvol08

alumvol08 Active Member

I've thought the exact same thing. Could also fill in for Dr. Foreman on House.

6. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Hat, speaking on #10, what do you think about Stokes? I love the pickup and I've heard he is a high energy guy. Have you seen him play? Do you think he can be a cornerstone to build on?

7. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Good stuff, hat. I'd just add that I think woolridge is actually helping this team right now. It's quite shocking.

8. hatvol96

I haven't seen him in a year and a half. I was always impressed. He's a cornerstone, but he's not going to set it on fire out of the gate. He's not that kind of player.

9. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I really hope no one in the fan base don't think he comes in guns blazing just because he is a 5*. He hasn't played organized HS ball at all this year, so it will take him a bit to adjust. Sadly, I know some people will call him overrated if he comes in and doesn't average 20 and 10.

10. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Bert Bertelkamp at one point in the broadcast last night said they needed to go to Renaldo more and I was astonished. I then looked at who was on the court and realized he was the best option out there. Color me encouraged.

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

3/4s of the fanbase will do what you fear

12. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Agreed.

a. I firmly believe that beating the [dadgum] piss out of teams is the best barometer for greatness. This is why I'm super high on Syracuse this year.
    b. I also believe that -- in basketball -- winning close games is a skill in and of itself.
    c. We were never going to be great this year. We're very far away from great. Possibly the full length of Greg Oden's penis. Which is a long way.
    d. Thus, I'm happy to win the close ones. It shows something.