Anybody attend...

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by MaconVol, Dec 22, 2011.

1. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

Does anybody on the board attend a Missionary Baptist Church? This is the faith that I attend and I was just wondering if anybody else on here does.

Not trying to start a religious debate or say that this is the best denomination. Just curious if anybody else attends one?

Thanks, have a great Christmas.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

There are some very knowledgeable posters here about most American protestant denominations, who may have at the least attended one at some point in time.

3. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

Yeah I just finished a report earlier this semester about Protestant beliefs in the U.S. I also studied the entrance of religion into Tennessee in my Tennessee History class. Its actually very interesting and astounding how many more people attend a church that is Protestant. I think it was something like 51% of religious people in America attend a Protestant church. i will have to check that number for sure.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  4. IP

IP Super Moderator

We were an English colony that specifically became a refuge for Europe's religious dissidents. Makes sense to me. Some of the few early Catholic settlers were even relative "dissidents" from England and other Northern European areas.

5. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

Don't attend a missionary Baptist, just a Southern Baptist which I pastor. Have a good friend that pastors a Missionary and his beliefs are the same as mine except they give more to missionary work than my church. We give 10% of the collection for each month to missionary work.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

What does the missionary church give?

7. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

There is an excellent documentary produced by PBS called "The Appalachians" that details the early Protestant denominations of the South, especially the Baptists and their many differing offshoots.

8. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Free Will Baptist.

9. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Could be wrong, but I don't think there is a set % or $ amount for any church, whether southern or missionary.

Agree w oldvol in that the two are very similar.

10. CardinalVol

Oh, and former southern baptist that would now classify myself as a reformed/new calvinist here.

11. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I'm a former Southern Missionary Baptist. I attend a Christian church now.

12. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

I'm a member/teacher (shocking, I know) at a Baptist church. I, however, have always been the one telling each and every person that asks that it is about a relationship, not a religion or a particular church. Too much emphasis is put on religion in my opinion. I don't think we need to forsake assembly, but at the end of it all what really matters is where you stand. Not where you served.

I'd probably be better served in a different denomination or non-denomination type church as I greatly disagree with some of the practices of Baptist churches (judgmental-ness, arguments over dress codes, no baptristry, etc.,) but I feel like I'm where I've been called at this point. And as I said earlier, that's what ultimately I'll be judged on.

13. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

My biggest belief on religion is that if you preach/teach from the bible that you are a sound church. While i am a Missionary Baptist, I sometimes feel that to much emphasis is put on the name on the door. If the church preaches/teaches faith and repentance (Acts 20:21), I believe it is sound, no matter what the name is. This is just my opinion of course.

14. CardinalVol

That there is the biggie. As long as the Gospel is preached, we can discuss/debate the other finer points. But if the Gospel isn't preached (or preached wrong), then there are issues.

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

There's a "mega-church" about 20 minutes from the house. The preacher talks about himself for 45 minutes and how great he is and then goes to his million dollar home that was built on the church's dime. There's all kinds of wrong with that.

I'm Church of Christ

16. CardinalVol

Yup.

I have no problem with pastor's being paid, or even paid well (within reason), but this probably crosses the big black line.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  17. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

I could not agree with the bold anymore. Its not about what church you went to, its whether or not you have salvation from God. Being a member on a church roll does not get you into heaven, its whether or not your name is written in the Lambs Book of Life. I am afraid that there are to many people today who feel that just because they go to church on Sunday, means they are going to heaven, when its just simply not the case.

18. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I'm Lutheran. Or as we say, "Catholic Lite".

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Me neither but stuff like that makes my skin crawl.

20. CardinalVol

I would really like to look at that church's budget.