Did anyone ever figure out why Channing Fugate basically disappeared?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by volfanbill, Dec 29, 2011.

1. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

I don't understand why you would keep what seemed like a good blocker and very capable FB on the bench when the run game was so atrocious. I haven't heard of any attitude, academic or personal problems with him, but I guess I still have enough faith in the coaching staff that they wouldn't forget about him kinda like Fulmer forgot about running backs. Anyone have a clue?

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Everyone I asked about this said that he basically wasn't producing on the field in practice.

3. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

are they getting those reports from coaches or did they see it firsthand?

I just think if you teach the O-line some traditional blocking schemes instead of this zone garbage, lining Fugate up in the I with Lane, Smith or Young behind him could create a drastically improved running game. Neal might even be the best option back there if they can teach him to hold onto the football, but I really like him in the slot position if Pig or someone else can't step up to play there.

I think in this scenario he not only could take a couple of handoffs for short yardage situations, but from what I've seen, he has the hands to be another receiving threat out of the backfield if Bray has to dump it off or he's another blocker for Bray.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  4. CardinalVol

People I have spoken with are a couple of media folks here I'm friends/friendly with/towards as well as a couple of friends who have talked with people close to program. All said the same thing.

5. Volnbama

Volnbama Contributor

Wrong thread. Carry on

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  6. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Practices are closed so I don't know how they'd know that. Why was he the obvious starter at the beginning of the season? Why did virtually every other position see turnover just for the sake of doing something different but Bartholomew stayed in? I imagine the problem was something attitude related that Dooley felt couldn't be overlooked like with DaRick.

7. CardinalVol

Media - no clue.

Friends - they have friends in the AD. All I know is that what I heard cooborated.

But I do agree it was odd the way he was being promoted in summer practice then never saw the field. I dunno.

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Chaney acted like he was this special player that was so good he almost felt guilty using him to block most of the time and not giving him more touches.

9. CardinalVol

I know jackson knocked him cold in one of the practices before he was kicked off the team. I wonder if that affected him a lot?

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

There's got to be more to it than the kid just forgetting how to practice.

11. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

All I know is that if your running game is a total mess and you have guy on the bench who rushed for 3,000 yards his senior season of high school he might be someone to consider getting a look. I don't care if he runs a 5.0 forty and sulks on the practice field.