Best Teams in the Land

Discussion in 'Sports' started by kidbourbon, Dec 29, 2011.

1. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

As of right now, here is my top ten. There is no science to this. Just what I have formulated in my simple brain. So, yes, I'm an idiot. Now tell me why.

1. Syracuse: they just continue to beat the [dadgum] [uck fay] out of every team they play.
    2. Ohio State with Sullinger: they need him. But with him, they are really really good.
    3. Kentucky: they'll be favored against Louisville by like 6 or 7. And then they'll beat them by 12 or more. This is when I think they really start rolling.
    4. Missouri: most wouldn't rank them this high, but I just really like this squad. They play hard. They impose their will.
    5. UNC
    6. Baylor
    7. Florida: my oh my how I hate Florida.
    8. UNLV: probably too high, but I have a mancrush on this team.
    9. Duke
    10. Wisconsin: this team is absolute gold when playing against anybody but the elite teams that they can't match up athletically. But when they play a mediocre team, they'll cover that spread for you.

2. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

I haven't seen 'Cuse other than on Sportscenter dunkfests, but I think it depends on how you are judging them. My opinion is that OSU is really good, UNC and Kentucky are good and are going to get better as things gel.

On another note, anybody else see Miss St play the hell out of Baylor in Dallas last night? They probably win if not for big man foul trouble and a missed clip on Baylor's final posession.

3. kidbourbon

Miss State can play with anybody. They remind me of the Tyrus Thomas LSU team that went to the final four. I don't expect them to end up in the final four, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did.

4. kidbourbon

I judge on who I think would win if they played. I don't know of another meaningful way to judge teams.

5. cotton

Now or at the end of season?

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that I think UK and UNC have more potential to improve than the other premier teams I have seen, but again, I haven't really watched Syracuse.

6. kidbourbon

Tomorrow if they played.

Which is why my very unofficial rankign will certainly change a lot.

I agree more on UK than UNC. UK has the most room for improvement of any of the elite teams. UNC, in my estimation, is pretty much who I thought they would be.

7. cotton

I don't disagree with that.

8. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

You sure about Florida at 7? Mike Rice disagrees.

9. kidbourbon

Upsets happen all the time in college basketball. Basketball is a high variance game as it is...and on top of that college basketball games are pretty short contests.

So, to answer your question, no, I'm not sure, but I'm also not going to call a team dogshit based on a single outing. Fwiw, Thad Matta thinks Florida is a top 5 team. So I guess both him and Mike Rice disagree with my slotting the Gators at 7.

10. kidbourbon

Festering, flaming dogshit.

And against NC State (on the road) they went on (I think) a 25-0 run at one point. Which is something that a team can do only if said team happens to be equipped with a long, swinging [penis].

11. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Everybody and their brother knows why Thad said that. Florida looks like a decent team but I see them more at like 10-12th best team.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  12. kidbourbon

He didn't say it publicly.

I got that info from Mark Titus' weekly column on grantland, which is excellent, btw.

13. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

subtract Wisconsin, add Indiana.

14. kidbourbon

My list, buddy, and I'll do as I damn well please.

Just kidding...it's time for a tweaking indeed.

15. kidbourbon

1. Syracuse: this team is amazing.
    2. Ohio State: We have inside information that Indiana sends very attractive pre-paid women into the opposing locker rooms both before the game and at halftime. These women are sent to the locker room for the purpose of administering various services on the opposing players. Blow jobs, rim jobs, hand jobs, from behind, 69, cowgirl, reverse cowgirl, all the hits...all the good ones. And the results show it. The results show all of it. It is for this reason that we're giving tOSU amnesty for their IU loss.
    3. Kentucky: still getting better and better.
    4. Missouri: this team blows my mind. What do they have like 7 guys on scholarship? It's as if they're starving to death and the outcome of the current possession determines whether they get a peanut butter and jelly sandwich to hold them over. Except that every possession is the current possession. I mean will nobody toss these guys a damn sandwich? Different analogy: they play basketball like Rafa Nadal plays tennis. I like that one better.
    5. UNC: Their last two games ended up with the following scores: 100-62; 102-65. That is impressive even against two weak opponents.
    6. Indiana: Again, I should note that we have acquired inside information indicating that Indiana sends very attractive pre-paid women into the opposing locker rooms both before the game and at halftime. These women are sent to the locker room for the purpose of administering various services on the opposing players. Blow jobs, rim jobs, hand jobs, from behind, 69, cowgirl, reverse cowgirl, all the hits...all the good ones. And the results show it. The results show all of it
    7. Izzo: this team is coming together.
    8. Georgetown: road wins; impressive comebacks; fistfights with chinamen; plus they get bonus points for twice beating Memphis State.
    9. Florida: my oh my how I hate Florida.
    10. UNLV: still mancrushing.

Bumped out:
    • Baylor (don't worry, their loss is coming. And then another one....);
    • Duke (Temple isn't atrocious, but Duke was already sitting precariously with me).
    • Wisconsin: Iowa? Seriously?

I got my eye on: Kansas

16. cotton

That's how really good teams play, at least against good competition. That's why Kemba Walker and UConn won a championship. That's why Butler mysteriously wound up in the finals twice. That's what Pearl's teams never did after Lofton and Jujuan graduated.

I like the PB&J analogy.

17. kidbourbon

The loss to USF was just inexcusable. Especially the way they lost it.

18. cotton

So where is Kansas in this group now?

I don't want to overhype the win last night, but I thought they looked really good.

19. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Don't like KU, but they have one great ballplayer and a solid coach.

SU just messes with people in that zone. Lack of shooting as a skill makes it flat out work.

KY has serious issues until they figure out the PG situation. Not sure it's fixable this year. Gilchrist, Davis and Lamb can play. Jones MIA is a problem.

UNC isn't getting it all done without some semblance of defense and the problem starts because they have no prayer of keeping a good PG in front of them and they get lazy as hell on the wings. Have some serious paint defense which should allow a spread out situation, but they can't / won't take advantage.

tOSU, with Sullinger playing and being the focal point (which they forget to do a lot), is the best team to me.

20. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Go ahead and remove IU from any and all top 10 lists after tonight.