Who is the best musician in the last ten years?

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by WM, Oct 15, 2011.

Tags:
  1. TheGeneral

TheGeneral Member

nvm..

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

This decade has sucked musically to be honest.

Black Keyes, Old Crow Medicine Show, Kanye and Miranda Lambert are about all I like New music wise.

Tool is one of my favorites, but 10,000 days was just ok.

3. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Didn't get a couple of their albums after Colour and the Shape but I've really liked everything from In Your Honor on, agree with Berrypick 6 that they 've gotten better.

The Them Crooked Vultures album was good as well I thought.

4. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

GT, I agree with you. It may be revolting to hear, but he is this generation's Fred Astaire or Gene Wilder. He can act, sing and dance and is likable and hilarious off the cuff. I dread the onslaught from the natives as I write that, but it's probably true.

5. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

No onslaught here. I'm generally pro-JT as well.

6. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

There is no denying the talent of Timberlake, at the same time to put him in the scope of best artists of the last ten years should be a verdict of the music industy.

I'll defend Tool as long as folks keep mentioning acts that couldn't roadie for them, 10,000 days may have not been on par with what they have done in years past but it is still better than 90% of what is produced today and Lateralus is great enough of an album to put a [penis] in most everyone's suggestions in this thread.

7. TheGeneral

TheGeneral Member

Preach.

8. VOLFREAK11

VOLFREAK11 New Member

Jack Johnson?

9. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I'm a big fan of Jack Johnson

10. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

He bores me to tears.

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I like him in moderation

12. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

I'm a big fan of Blink 182. Not saying they are the best of the decade, but definitely my favorite band.

13. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Knowing how to play a Jack Johnson tune on the guitar was the for sure way to get a girlfriend in 2005.

14. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

It's not life changing music, but I love him on those first few warm days of spring.

15. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Ben Harper is also pretty solid. I'd have to throw him in the mix for the last 10 years.

16. TheGeneral

TheGeneral Member

Me too. Want to come over and play some GameCube?

It'll be awesome man!

17. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Nonsense. Music is great right now. The "album" business model was terrible for the consumer. Pay 17 bucks and get two good songs and filler? Music is better now because access into the industry is easier. One doesn't have to be signed to be heard, and so there are more bands trying to be heard. Pop music may be bad -- atrocious -- right now. But music generally is as good now as any time period I can recall.

18. kidbourbon

Jack White
    Marshall Mathers
    Kanye West: I don't like him as a human being, but listen to beautiful dark twisted fantasy start to finish and tell me you didn't just hear some groundbreaking music.
    Alicia Keys
    Damon Albarn
    Chris Martin
    Amy Winehouse (she was one and done, but dear god that girl was talented).
    Thom Yorke (I'm not a huge fan of Radiohead, but many many are)
    John Mayer
    David Guetta (he is really changing the game. he is the first who has brought techno music to pop music. You may not have heard his name, but you've heard him without realizing it. Pop artists and the labels that fund them pay Mr. Guetta handily to lay down a techno beat that pop song rides on top of.)
    Leslie Feist.
    Norah Jones has to be in the conversation.
    Ryan Adams: though how I hate him
    The Followill gang
    Lady Gaga: I don't love Lady Gaga, but she is the real deal. Respected musicians want to work with her. She's basically Madonna with a better voice.
    Jay-Z: he isn't musically groundbreaking like Kanye, but his contribution to hip hop music can't be overlooked.
    OutKast: they're okay on their own...but together they're the best ever. Regardless of genre.

I'm forgetting a lot of people I'm sure.

19. kidbourbon

Angels & Airwaves has put out better material than Blink 182 ever did, imho.

20. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Outkast the best of all musicians ever? That's a bold claim. I disagree rather strongly, but quite bold.

Edit: forgot about the timeframe. That makes it a lot more reasonable. Still don't think I'd have them at number one though.

The tough part is a lot great groups are still putting out music, but it seems like their best stuff came prior to the 2000s.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011