Friday Night Tykes

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by JayVols, Feb 3, 2015.

1. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Everyone needs to watch this show about the Texas Youth Football Association (TYFA) at least once. It represents all that is wrong with youth sports today. Grown men cussing like they are in prison around the kids, parents running their mouths, cussing and fighting, adults trash talking kids, adults and coaches advocating the purposeful injury of opposing teams' players....if it's something negative about youth sports, it's in there. And it's disgusting

Our society is doomed.

2. Joseph Brant

Joseph Brant Airbrush Aficionado

I watched about 4 minutes last year, was about 238 seconds too long.

3. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

This is exactly how youth football is down here. They bet thousands of dollars on the games too. Its a little sad these 7-10 year old kids get put in these situations.

4. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Jesus

5. Joseph Brant

Joseph Brant Airbrush Aficionado

Youth sports would be much more fun for the kids if parents weren't allowed to participate imo.

6. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

I coach my daughters 4th basketball team and I feel the same way.

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Those Miami teams don't mess around

8. JayVols

There's a reason why I refuse to coach my kids and sit off by myself at their activities. The biggest lesson I've learned in coaching is how to not act as a parent.

I'd straight up bust some of those parents on that show in the mouth.

9. JayVols

The "coaches" are just as bad too.

10. snoball5278

snoball5278 Contributor

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

This saddens me.

12. snoball5278

snoball5278 Contributor

i was lucky when it came to youth sports. my dad was never very competitive and only helped coach when he was basically begged too. he was always front and center to pick someone up during the losses and faded to the back ground and let the kids take the credit during the wins. even during t-ball i could recognize how uncommon his approach was compared to my friends dad's.

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

My dad didn't know anything about sports. He would either say "good game" or "you sucked today, you'll get better"

14. NorrisAlan

Yes, more of this, please. My son's football coach had his son on the team, and that poor kid. The coach was not bad, and generally was fair, but when he fumbled or anything like that, not only are you failing your team and your coach, but your dad.

I refuse to coach my son at anything. I will work with them in the yard and help them learn on the side, but no way would I ever coach my children.

15. NorrisAlan

That made me chuckle :)

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

There's no way I could do it. My high school football coach's son was the same age as me and was a full back and a linebacker. He was a really good football player, went on to play at Tennessee Tech, but people would get pissed when he would score on short touchdown runs.

It was stupid, because when you're two yards out, common sense dictates you give it to the 200 lb full back. It would aggravate me hearing people talk about how he treated his son special, because it really wasn't true. The guy didn't get to play much until he was a junior.

I couldn't handle the parents. I would just flat out tell them their kid sucked if they complained about playing time.

17. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

I have made myself a promise that I will never coach either of my children. I'll work with them with anything they want, but when it comes time for practice or games, they will learn from someone else.

Only way I would ever step in would be if they were told something just completely dead ass wrong.

18. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

my coach in college was stopped by a parent that he had went to college with after our season ended. We are trying to get on the bus. The parent keeps asking why he didn't play at all this year. "not now, we can discuss this later."

The parent stomped his foot, says extremely loud... "GD it, I want to know."

Coach steps onto the bottom step of the bus and says... "He's fat, he's slow and he's stupid. He's fat, he's slow and he's stupid." Turns and gets on the bus. We later asked him why he had to say it twice in such a slow voice. "The apple don't fall far from the tree. That boy got his dumbass from one of the two. I'm guessing both."

He transferred the next year.

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Awesome

I had a middle school coach that was in general, a hardass. There was a kid that was crying (literally) over playing time. He leaned down and said "You don't like it, get better". He stood up, turned around and said "That goes for everyone here, you come in and half ass in practice, we'll get half ass results. You want to get better, come in and get better or just go through the motions."

20. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Not sure its this way everywhere, but a lot of youth sports here would be coachless if parents didn't step in. Thats not a ringing endorsement for the idea as a whole but an issue none the less.