Barry Sanders

Discussion in 'Sports' started by The Dooz, Feb 11, 2015.

1. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

The greatest running back ever?

I'd like to hear a case why not. We can't come up with one at work.

2. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

the argument against is too many negative plays. he's certainly up there though.

4. JohnnyQuickkick

yeah he wouldn't be the guy I'd pick if I needed 1 yard

5. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Really? You're putting that Sanders and not the GM, coaches and o-line?

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

OJ didn't seem to have that problem.

7. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Really? OJ had his share of negative plays. Regardless, he too had a better Front Office, coaches and o-line by comparison.

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

##Sanders also holds the NFL record for the most carries for negative yardage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_Sanders

OJ had a better front office and oline? whaaaaa? btw I think barry was great, but he had his flaws.

9. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Not disputing the yardage just smh that you would reference that and call it a "flaw". That distinction and other related lies at the feet of Detroit's Front Office and coaching staff.

The man made the Pro-Bowl every yr he played the gm and named All-Pro eight of those yrs. An arguement could be made that he was the best pure runner of all time.

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I'm not sure how it's the coaching staff and front office fault that he had a lot of negative plays (negative 3 yards on average!) compared to other great RBs. surely he could fall forward if he wanted to.

The man asked what argument could be made that he isn't the greatest and I gave it. let's not turn this into a "you a hater" thread.

11. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

I'd say OJ Simpson pre-49ers is the GOAT.

12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I'd take a healthy Jim Brown, OJ, and Erick ****erson (homer pick) over barry. that isn't to say barry wasn't one of the all time greats.

13. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Fair enough

14. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Jim. Brown.

15. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

The era he played in keeps me from taking him seriously when talking GOAT.

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

how so?

17. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

You can't have the carries he did and never miss a game without there being a serious question of his competitors.

18. JohnnyQuickkick

His running style ran him into a lot of those negative plays, but the same thing is why he'd take the next one 65. I dunno if I'd even call it a "flaw", it's just the kind of runner he was.

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i could see that as an argument about his yards per carry, but not his durability.

20. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Then the same can be said of any back or other NFL player. That is the problem with football when talking goats. The game and players have changed too much, as have the rules.

Babe Ruth or Josh Gibson would be great baseball players today. The sixties Packers teams would get steamrolled in today's NFL. But when compared go his contemporaries, no one touches Jim Brown.