So the vols do or do not run a spread offense?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by droski, Feb 16, 2015.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

With all due respect to butch, what he described sure sounds like a spread offense to me. . .

http://coachingsearch.com/article?a=Butch-Jones-Its-the-most-misused-term-in-all-of-football

“I hear the term 'spread offense,'” Jones said at DeBord’s introductory press conference. “If anybody can give me the definition of spread offense, I'm all up for it. I think it's the most misused term in all of football. I think it rivals the term of the 'West Coast offense.' I don't know if people think you're in the gun, you're a spread offense. I don't know if its personnel. I don't know if it's no-huddle.

“If you remember, on Dec. 7, when I stepped forward to that podium and the question was asked about your offensive system, I said we're going to be an up-tempo, no-huddle offense that could control the tempo and be a pro-style offense with the ability to gain advantages through motions, through shifts, through speed, through play of our pace. The ability to create space and pace but also the ability to run the football.

“Growing up, when I heard the term ‘spread offense,’ right away, you thought of a finesse offense. We'll never be a finesse offense here at the University of Tennessee. We're going to have attitude running plays within our scheme. Everyone uses the term ‘spread offense.’ I don't think anyone truly understands the true definition, because every individual spread offense means something different.”

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

But at least the vols run with "attitude" whatever the **** that means.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

It means we got sun glasses on under our helmets and use bubblegum as mouth guards. It's pretty intense.

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The term "spread offense" has become a trendy catch all.

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

well I'd say it's more than no one outside of Stanford and bama runs a traditional pro style offense anymore really. but the things he is talking about certainly derived themselves from teams that people considered spread teams in the past.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
  6. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

This.

7. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

The offense we need to be running is one that scores more than 9 motherflipping points against Florida and doesn't throw an INT on the 1yard line.

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

If he was smart, he would sell himself as a guy that learned and helped Kelly and Rich Rod create two great offensive systems.

9. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

What I want to see is a repeat of the Iowa win at least ten times with a quality bowl appearance. I really do not care how they do it.

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

yup. better to sell yourself as an innovator than basically make a statement that implies you don't know what offensive system you run either.

11. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

This is acceptable.

12. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Exactly. He's so stupid that he thinks he is talking over the heads of people with average football intelligence.

13. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

"IF" being the operative word. I get the distinct impression it's about equivalency, his being an architect / innovator and name spoken in the same breathe, not protege.

14. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

Dec. 7, 2012.... a date that will live in infamy....

15. syndicate

syndicate Well-Known Member

We don't run a spread, we run a jet sweep offense. Every play is designed to set up the jet sweep.

16. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Jones is getting ripped by Bill Simonson on the Huge Show here in Michigan today. Saying hiring DeBord is insane. One of the worst hires he's seen given the data.

Said DeBord was the worst D1 coach he's ever seen.

Simonson really likes Butch from comments in the past. But held no punches today. Said you have a short lifetime in the SEC and that Butch probably just buried himself.

17. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Amazing what happens when you don't look through Orange tinted glasses.

18. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

Simonson should join us here at the 8th... he'd definitely be in pretty good company...

19. RevBubbaFlavel

RevBubbaFlavel Contributor

Unless you are lucky enough to land a job at Tennessee.

20. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

It's still a spread.

If your bread and butter running play is the QB Read Option, you're a sread team in regards to defensive preparation.