Timing

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Beechervol, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Had Wilcox and Sirmon left a month ago, would Dooley still be the head football coach?

Thought?
    Percentages maybe?

2. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

To be honest I think this is a harder hit than if it would have happen right after the season

3. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

4. WM

WM Active Member

He gets the third year barring some off field scandal. It's just the way it has to play out.

5. Volguy1971

Volguy1971 Sith Lord

Although I do believe you should get 3-4 years to bring in your own players, but when you are losing the best coaches on staff, something will have to be done sooner than later. The timing of all this is certainly piss poor, however, with Wilcox' name constantly coming up for job openings, it doesn't really surprise me. We're snakebit and are on life support as a program at the moment.

6. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Like I told you earlier, I feel we are only on life support so there is an opportunity to harvest any viable organs. Hate to feel that way, but one can only be kicked in the jimmy so many times before utter despair sets in.

7. tennesseevolman

tennesseevolman New Member

When did Tennessee become a stepping stone for coaches to build a reputation so they could go on to greener pastors? Tennessee should be an elite job that someone wants to make a career coaching at. We really need to get back to our roots and hire a Tennessee guy to coach this team. The recruits are already decommitting and it is only going to get worse. This Sucks!

8. tennesseevolman

It seems that BAMA was down during the 90's, but still remained elite. How can we get back to that position? Do we start over again right now, and begin another 3 year rebuilding process for the coaching staff now? The Wilcox/Sirmon debacle, coupled with the Arnett situation is about to really send our recruiting into a downward spiral, IMO.

9. tennesseevolman

It may be 5 to 6 more years before we feel relevant in the SEC again. We have been watching the train wreck for four years already, I was sure hoping it would get better by next year. Dooley may have spoken too soon after the Kentucky game, when he said " We have hit rock bottom." What I fear the most is that we become the next Notre Dame, and fans become satisfied with 7 or 8 win seasons.

10. tennesseevolman

I guess from reports I have read, we already hired Randy Shannon. That is some good news that might save our recruiting a bit.

11. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

I think so. I don't think Hart ever had intentions of relieving Dooley of his duties this year. I would be really surprised if Shannon came onboard. I feel like that b/c of the obvious points, but also because I don't see Hart paying him that much money knowing that Dooley is entering his make or break season. I could be wrong, but I would imagine Hart would like to clean house if Dooley doesn't work out.

12. tennesseevolman

I am not saying that the reports are right or wrong. But I do know that Dooley has a press conference scheduled, and here is the latest report that we hired Shannon for 1 million a year on a 5 year deal. If that is true, then it seems that Hart is at least proactive and does hire someone with a proven defensive mindset for college football. How Corporacracy Is Failing Tennessee Football

13. tennesseevolman

Bad link on my prior post, but this is the report I have read on "feels like 98".

This evening Feelslike98.com has learned that after losing defensive coordinator Justin Wilcox to Washington earlier today, Randy Shannon will be the next defensive coordinator at the University of Tennessee. The hiring of Shannon, done very quickly and behind closed doors, was something the Volunteers needed to do to save what little bit of the signing class they had left. Shannon played linebacker for the Miami Hurricanes from 1985-1988, followed by a brief NFL career with the Dallas Cowboys from 1988-1989. From there Shannon became a grad assistant at Miami in 1991. From then, until 1997, Shannon coached the defensive line and linebackers at Miami. In 2000 Shannon recorded yet another brief stint in the NFL, this time as Linebacker coach of the Miami Dolphins. From the NFL Shannon went back to where it all began at the University of Miami, this time as the defensive coordinator. Under Shannon, the Miami defense thrived, ranking in the top 10 every year but 1(2004). In 2008 Shannon was officially announced as Head Coach of the Miami Hurricanes, replacing outgoing coach Larry Coker.

Despite not coaching over the last year, Shannon is and was very much sought out as a defensive coordinator. Shannon interviewed as recently as December 7th at the University of Arkansas to be their defensive coordinator in the upcoming season. Shannon will be a very welcome addition to the staff, as he has coached some of the most powerful defenses in the past decade. Not only is Shannon revered as a great coach, he is also known as a leader to his team. Under the watch of Shannon, team troubles (on and off the field), dropped drastically and Miami was able to shake some of the “Thug-U” reputation that that had earned previously.

Look for Shannon to take quick action in contacting the Volunteer recruits, as National signing day is just a month away. As for his contract, the Vols have offered a just over $1 million per year, in a 5 year deal, with incentive bonuses built in.

14. WM

WM Active Member

The Shannon story is all over the map for differing information. Five years seems to discredit the info has unreliable.

15. tennesseevolman

I am going to hope that the rumors and reports are true. Adding him would certainly up our ante to the recruits. Plus, this would be Harts first really big move to show that he is serious about bringing Tennessee back to being relevant.

16. WM

WM Active Member

I would be happy for a Shannon hire. Just the mass rumors in the past few week and all of the elements in play if this hire was made, I'm not too sure what to make of it.

17. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

As others have stated, I like (love, actually) the hire - but only insofar as it doesn't lock us into either of them beyond next season with some egregious buyout, in the event of a change.

18. tennesseevolman

Perhaps Hart is looking at Shannon as Dooleys replacement, if the rumors of his hire are true. I dont know what to make of it either.

19. tennesseevolman

I totally agree, 5 years at a million per sounds an awful lot like a Hammy deal. Maybe Hart is smarter than Hamilton about HUGE buyouts and hasnt put us behind the 8 ball like that.

20. tennesseevolman

Mike Strange has tweeted that we are not rushing into hiring a new D Coordinator. So, I guess all the rumors are just rumors, unless Dooley pulls a surprise out of his butt in the next few minutes.