Dave Hart

Discussion in 'VOLuminous' started by tvolsfan, Jan 3, 2012.

1. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Anyone else skeptical about his ability to make a good hire when the time comes? I think he hired two basketball coaches at FSU, and I don't think either tenure went too well. I'm not sure if he had anything to do with Jimbo Fisher being named coach in waiting, but it wouldn't encourage me if he did.

He has to be an upgrade over Hamilton, and I'm sure he'll be willing to spend, but does anyone else question his ability to find a winner?

2. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

IIRC, Alabama fans insist he's the one who found Anthony Grant

3. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

To clarify. I don't know much about the coaching searches at FSU while he was there or how much he was able to spend. I'm just looking at who was hired under his watch.

4. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I only know what I have heard from reliable others / been told by those who likely would have firsthand knowledge of those types of things.

But, they've all been unanimous about the following:

1. There would be a list of no more than 3-5 names (probably closer to 3). All joking aside, Dooley would not make the list if they expanded it to 50 (had someone tell me those exact words).
    2. There would be no search committee, as such was only symptomatic of having an AD who didn't know anyone (colleagues to help bounce names off of) / his arse from a hole in the ground.
    3. Landing any of those 3-5 would be seen as a ticker-tape home run by even the most jaded fan.
    4. The money would escalate until one of them said Yes.
    5. It would be largely done, meaning agreed in principal, if not actually signed/sealed, before any announcement on Dooley was made.

I've heard all of these things consistently, and from everyone. But others know more than I, and can chime in if they'd like.

5. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

If those five points are accurate, I have complete confidence in our AD.

My only worry to this point is that Kirby Smart is one of our top candidates, but that's ruled out by #3.

6. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Didn't you say if Wilcox left Dooley was a goner?

7. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

He canned the swimming/diving coach just a bit ago. So there's that.

8. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I could be wrong, but I thought he said if UT had to replace Wilcox and Chaney, there is a high chance Dooley would be gone, too.

9. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

Yeah, Saban seems to have that same thing going on that Bill Belichick does where most of their assistants end up sucking ass as head coaches. Maybe that's not fair since each individual should be measured on their own merits but what Saban guy has gone on the have big success? Dooley sucks, Muschamp sucks, Jimbo is average at best. Interesting that Saban comes from the Belichick coaching tree and is one of the few exceptions here.

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Dantonio has been pretty good and he worked with Saban

11. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Per Tenny's earlier post, I'm really trying to think of 5 coaches we could realistically get that would make me turn cartwheels.

12. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Just guessing but I'd assume Gruden and Stoops would be up there. Doubt either would come. Maybe someone like Patterson?

Drawing a blank on who the other guys may be.

13. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

I would go insane if we somehow managed patterson

14. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

"Realistically get" throws a big wrench in the process. That said, a lot more things get realistic when you start throwing money around. It's impossible to say who might be willing to listen for one reason or another.

15. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Patterson, Peterson, Petrino, any of those 3 and I'd attempt a cartwheel. Not taking realism into account here, obviously.

16. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Pete Carroll?

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

The fees we paid those search committees were embarrassing. Hundreds of thousands of dollars spent to get the same sort of names that one could hear for free from anyone in the industry or paying close attention to it.

18. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Patterson just inked a big, long term deal at TCU when his stock was probably highest. Petrino is a scumbag.

I don't know why people seem to keep throwing Gruden in the mix, and I just can't see Stoops taking what is, at this point, a downward move just to wear Orange.

Of those listed, Peterson is the only guy I consider at all possible, and he has turned down better situations than ours.

19. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Agreed about Stoops. Gruden will be discussed until he has a job.

20. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I'd be a little hesitant to hire him because the whole investigation at USC, even if he wasn't specifically hit with anything.