Sounds Like Barnes Hiring is Imminent

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by Unimane, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

How do we screw this up every time?

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

It is really amazing how people of diverse backgrounds and beliefs can come together here and form a damning consensus on the UT AD. I mean, no matter what angle one looks at it, if one is objective they see a big turd. It's a turd!

3. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

It'd be better than the last two hires. Considering who is available this time around, it would be a middle of the pack hire, which is par for UT.

4. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

It frustrates me because this is a really good year to find a young and talented coach, yet, the ****ing idiots running the search pull out Rick Barnes and the ****ing idiot fan base slobbers all over it. I've come to the realization that most of our fans would slobber over us slapping a UT sticker on a pile of dog shit and say how wonderful that dog shit is or how much we must support that pile of dog shit because that's what good fans do.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

They would have been good little Nazis.

6. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

I'm not falling all over myself pumped up like I'd be if a Hurley was hired but I think this is a nice solid hire where you know what you are going to get. I get why people wouldn't love this hire, but don't get why anyone would hate it either.

7. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

hate is what we do here

8. docholiday

docholiday Contributor

You just answered your own question in one word. Hurley.

9. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

You may be on to something. Maybe just maybe the UTAD makes a list of the best candidates available, say Greg Marshall or even Dan Hurley. Then, they make a list of the worst possible candidates, say Will Wade or Rick Byrd. Then, they ask the simple question, who is better than Will Wade, but not as good as Greg Marshall? Then, you take that list and you rank them. Underwood, Barnes, M. White. Then you pick the guy in the middle. Your specific goal is to pick the worst possible guy that is better than half of the options. This prevents your athletics program from getting too big for its britches, but you have the luxury of saying...you guessed it! We could have done a lot worse.

Such dedication to mediocrity is almost impressive. Think about it. Fail safe processes to ensure mediocrity.

10. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

He and Debord can reminisce about their days as young men.

11. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

If you've got hate in your heart, let it out

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

Because he isn't the best man for the job. Because they seem to be moving so quickly in that direction as to indicate they haven't even looked around.

I'm not saying he sucks, I'm saying he isn't going to emerge as an elite coach. Isn't that what we should be looking for-- who can take a platform like our's and reach elite levels?

13. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

this is pretty close. I hate it because we had every reason to do better. If this had been a last resort sort of thing, it might have made sense. It wasn't.

14. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

16. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

It's a specific subset of underachieving, because it's underachieving in tournament contexts relative to the regular season. Cuonzo's last team would've gone down as overachieving by that measure, despite the fact that they were pretty much dead-on preseason expectations for tournament results--they just underachieved so badly in the regular season that tournament expectations were significantly lowered. I think you could argue that Barnes also underachieves in the regular season, but this shows that his tournament performance takes an even bigger step down.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

I remember some high seeded Texas teams flaming out with regularity at some point. Not sure if that is imagined or not.

18. countvolcula

countvolcula New Member

UT is being run by incompetent idiots

19. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

It is what every program should be looking for but when has UT ever done that? Sadly UT doesn't do that. At minimum with Barnes he'll get us back to the tourney, won't do anything to embarrass the university and run a clean program. He'd probably be here 8 years take us to the tourney 5 times and have a chance to make a deep run or two in the tourney. I can live with that over hiring a Cuonzo Martin, Donnie Tyndall or Michael White.

20. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

Why do some people keep acting like Barnes worked a miracle at Texas because it is a football school? It's still ****ing Texas and finding good basketball players to go to Austin can't be that hard. I have a hard time believing his recruiting could stay on par here considering the high school talent of both states.