What happens with Iran?

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by JayVols, Jan 3, 2012.

1. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Do they actually try to harass the shipping lanes in the Straight of Hormuz?

Do they force a minor incident to test the USN's resolve and shake global markets due to new sanctions?

Is offering talks a stall tactic for their nuke program or signs of a true power struggle in their leadership ranks?

Are we willing to go all out if they keep pushing?

This is a fascinating situation to me. I am curious to hear the opinions of the many folks here that have my respect.

2. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

We will do what we always do... appease them.

3. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

No, Reagan isn't president anymore.

I think it will amount to nothing, really. The Iranian leadership is walking a tightrope between a significant portion of the country despising them and using the US/Israel to maintain a bogeyman, but without going too far and getting ass raped by the US military in a conventional war. It's the typical bait and switch every politician around the world does, like Bush did with 9/11 in order to get the laws and wars he wanted or even in places like Argentina, where an unpopular leader will start rambling about the Malvinas to get the populace back in line.

Much ado about nothing.

4. The world respected Reagan. You can't say that about that wormy little son of a [itch bay], Barack Obama.

You claim to have history degrees, and call Reagan an appeaser? psssst...hey, history genius. Iran/Contra wasn't about appeasement.

5. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

If I had to guess, nothing will happen. Like QP said, we let them wave the sword around and hope they corrode from the inside out. It would take a whole hell of a lot for us to initiate conflict with them due to a plethora ramifications for doing so.

6. JayVols

I don't think we will start anything. I can't say the same for that bunch running Iran.

7. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Iran isn't in any position to get uppity, I don't think. Israel is begging for a reason to claim self-defense, and Iran is more on an island than ever before.

8. JayVols

I agree. At the same time, I don't think that they are ruled by the brightest folks over there. As a matter of fact, I think they are a bunch of psychos. Rationality is a foreign term to these type of folks.

9. OBX_Vol

OBX_Vol Member

Well, we are about to find out. No less than three Carrier groups are in the AOR. Thats due to the change out of strike groups. It would appear we have decided to keep it at 3 for the time being.

10. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Nah, it's just part of the game that's been played for a while now. Iran's leadership is more intelligent than you think and wouldn't get into war with the US unless there was absolutely zero way to avoid it. Here's two reasons why:

1. The Navy keeps a presence over there with enough fire power to bomb them back into the stone age twice over. We know everything there is to know about their military, it's bases, radar sites, missile sites, etc. They know that and wouldn't risk sending their country back a few decades for nothing.

2. They have no way to retaliate. The last thing any remotely intelligent person would want is war in their backyard. Especially when you can't touch your enemies soil.

11. JayVols

Will be interesting.

OBX= Outer Banks? QuanahParker and I frequent the OBX often. I visit every year to fish with my buddies. We usuaully stay in Buxton or Avon.

12. JayVols

I tend to agree with you. The fly in the ointment is the powers struggle within the country. I wouldn't put it past Immadinnerjacket to try to pull something crazy if he feels marginalized/threatened by the ruling clerics. I don't think it would be painless for us, but we would utterly destroy them if we took the gloves off. we haven't been willing to do that since WWII though.

13. OBX_Vol

OBX_Vol Member

Yep, I have a beach house down there. I live in Chespeake, VA though.

14. OBX_Vol

OBX_Vol Member

Achmed is not the one to worry about, the revolutionary guard going off on its own is the one to watch. There are believed to be be three power structures in Iran, Achmeds government, The Mullahs and the Revolutionary Guards. One entity will very much act on its own volition leaving the other two groups to back them up regardless of what they want.

The Rev. Guards seem to believe they can hammer a US warship and we will not strike at the country itself. They look for big symbolic acts (for recruiting) without worrying to much about the consequences.

15. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

The Rev Guard is pretty crooked. Back in the day, the oil smugglers would pay them to use Iranian waters for transit to avoid being caught by the Navy. Once they got out of one Rev Guards jurisdiction the next one would push them back out into International waters until they paid them too. It was funny though, there were very few days where the Rev Guard wasn't enjoying the sights of the carriers flight ops.

16. JayVols

Awesome. You rent it out? I go with a bunch of rabid Vols fans every year. Usually there Memorial Day Week. Would be cool to hang/fish with some fellow Vol fans while there if you are so inclined.

17. JayVols

SILENCE! I kill you!

Achmed.jpg

18. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Do a little search on Lebanon, genius. And, yes, the brave and loved Reagan invaded Grenada for his most daring military action, which won him the respect of all around the world. If you think the rest of the world respected Reagan, then you must've been in a coma during the 80s. Obama was certainly more effective in Libya than Reagan, but I know that Republicans are too busy building up false identities of the Great Communicater to bother to understand the greater international respect for Obama's methods in foreign policy.

Oh, and I love the fact that you bring up the illegal arms trade that Reagan lied about where guns were provided to human rights violaters trafficking drugs (which we knew) as well as arming militant groups in Iran. I can only imagine the shit storm Republicans would create if Obama did this.

It must get tiring watching me do this to you over and over again.

19. Where to start?

History degree, my ass. You don't know 30 years ago

Obama was more effective? That [uck fay]ing moron stood on the sidelines cheerleading. He did NOTHING! Reagan bombed the shit out of Libya, and 'accidentally' hit the French Embassy on the way out. Did I mention France refused to let fly over their airspace for the raid?

You honestly think Obama is more respected on the international stage than Reagan? Did I read that right? Are you that clueless? Reagan was seen as a World leader. Obama is seen as a joke. Seriously!

No, I don't think Reagan was respected, I know he carried the respect of friend and foe alike.

History degrees? You don't even know current events. Can you say, "Fast and Furious"?

Tiring having to reply to your idiotic posts? Nah, you're easy. You are absolutely stupid.

20. Obama more respected on the world stage than Reagan.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!