The Problem with the Electoral College

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I don't know if I have ever seen this explained so easily or convincingly.

The part about winning the Presidency with only 22% of the popular vote (which he shows how this could easily be done) was frightening.

It's in two parts, but both are relatively short and sweet:

Part 1:

[video=youtube_share;OUS9mM8Xbbw]http://youtu.be/OUS9mM8Xbbw[/video]

Part 2:
    [video=youtube_share;7wC42HgLA4k]http://youtu.be/7wC42HgLA4k[/video]

Is the Electoral College an outdated system which warrants replacement, and if so, by what alternative method?

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

A monarchy, IMO.

3. MG1968

MG1968 New Member

the President was never intended to be elected via a popular vote

4. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Political parties ruined the intent of the Founders. It is a nice idea and I wish it to be preserved only because it creates for interesting drama on election night. It is no more undemocratic than the Senate I imagine.

Still, it would be quite the political battle for this to ever get overturned.

5. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I agree to a point. The Electoral College was put in place at a time where the literacy rate was low. That's changed. We also used to not have direct elections for Senators, and we amended the Constitution to allow it.

I have never really sat down and studied the effects of a change like this, and I am not endorsing one now. I am merely pointing out that there are similar situations that can be pointed to as a precedent for a change.

6. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

It would make it considerably trickier to campaign and allot resources, and the voting incentives would change for someone in, say, Alabama or Vermont. Off the top of my head I think four elections would have been different with no electoral college.

7. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

One of the weaknesses of the electoral college is that it gives a disproportional vote to the smaller states, as each state is given a minimum of three electoral votes. I don't have the exact figures in front of me, but it's something along the lines of a state like Alaska having one electoral vote per 175,000 and New York with one per 600,000. Not exactly, but the sentiment is still the same.

8. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Sorry, I couldn't access the videos and was just reading the posts.

9. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

Problem, never, another form of a check and balance and it is beautiful.