Tennessee's DeBord savoring his return to college coaching

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by VolDad, Apr 13, 2015.

1. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- Tennessee offensive coordinator Mike DeBord's return to college coaching has helped him realize what he missed the most.

DeBord is helping coach a college team in spring practice for the first time since finishing his second stint as Michigan's offensive coordinator in 2007. He spent the next five years as an NFL assistant and worked in sports administration at Michigan in 2013-14.

''In the pros, it's all football, whereas in college you're working with them in every facet of their life,'' DeBord said. ''I actually missed that. I missed working with those kids like that.''

He's making the most of that chance now.

DeBord's arrival doesn't signify any major schematic changes for Tennessee, and he's worked with many members of this staff before. The Volunteers plan to run the same type of fast-paced attack they've operated in the first two years of coach Butch Jones' tenure.

The Vols need DeBord to assist in the development of quarterback Joshua Dobbs, who led the Vols to a 4-1 record in his five starts last season.

Jones says DeBord already has made an impact, bringing ''a mentality in an offense, the fine details of what it takes it play winning football, definitely a mentality and a presence.''

Jones has such faith in Dobbs that the quarterback sat in on DeBord's interview when the Vols sought a replacement for former offensive coordinator Mike Bajakian, who left to become the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' quarterbacks coach. The relationship between Dobbs and DeBord has developed from there........

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/tennes...return-college-coaching-191546281--ncaaf.html

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I hope it works out

3. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

If it doesn't he can start looking elsewhere.

4. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

If it doesnt, "they" may be looking elsewhere.

5. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

Feel sorry for Michigan's Olympic hopes. Took a big hit.

6. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

By "he" I meant Jones.

7. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

No worse than our football program's.

8. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

zing.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I think the hire sucks, but Debord will do good work with the offensive line. We'll see how good a play caller Butch is on his own.